all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is comint the way to go?
@ 2007-02-23 19:40 Mathias Dahl
       [not found] ` <mailman.35.1172266718.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-02-23 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 I want to write a command line interface to a program that isn't
command line driven.  In fact, it is not even a program, it is a
database with a specific schema.  What I want to do is create a
package that let's the user navigate this database using familiar
command line commands like `cd' and `ls'.

 When the user does `cd', what happens in the background is that one
or more SQL-queries are sent to Oracle's Sql*Plus tool, and I massage
the response into something that fits nice on the command line.

It would look something like this:

 myapp> cd Implementation
 myapp> ls
packagefoo
packagebar
 myapp> cd packagefoo
 myapp> ls
file1
file2

 None of the above is "real". Each command executed by the user
actually executes a specific query, depending on the context
(basically depending on where the user has previously "moved" using
`cd'), and the output will look like the output from working with a
file system.

 My question is, is comint the right thing to use here? Or, must
comint derived packages always be built around a command line app? Am
I better off doing this more or less from scratch (I have working code
to make my queries, so that's not the issue, the issue is the user
interface)?

* Re: Is comint the way to go?
@ 2007-02-23 21:28 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.35.1172266718.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2007-02-23 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:40:18 +0100 Mathias Dahl wrote:

>  I want to write a command line interface to a program that isn't
> command line driven.  In fact, it is not even a program, it is a
> database with a specific schema.  What I want to do is create a
> package that let's the user navigate this database using familiar
> command line commands like `cd' and `ls'.

Maybe something like FUSE[1]?  But this will only work on Linux and
i have no idea if any other OS provides some similar feature.

David

Footnotes:
[1]  http://fuse.sourceforge.net/

* Re: Is comint the way to go?
       [not found] ` <mailman.35.1172266718.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-26 12:46   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-02-26 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> Maybe something like FUSE[1]?  But this will only work on Linux and
> i have no idea if any other OS provides some similar feature.

Thanks, I thought of that, but this hack I wanna build is for Windows
only.

Since I made my post I have shifted my focus towards doing something
more "graphical", on the lines of Dired, so that the user can move
around using the cursor keys.

We'll see how it turns out...

* Re: Is comint the way to go?
@ 2007-03-09 16:56     ` anoop aryal
From: anoop aryal @ 2007-03-09 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday 26 February 2007 06:46, Mathias Dahl wrote:
> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:
> > Maybe something like FUSE[1]?  But this will only work on Linux and
> > i have no idea if any other OS provides some similar feature.
>
> Thanks, I thought of that, but this hack I wanna build is for Windows
> only.
>
> Since I made my post I have shifted my focus towards doing something
> more "graphical", on the lines of Dired, so that the user can move
> around using the cursor keys.

why not use FUSE to do the filesystem for linux, then export that thru samba
so that users on windows get the GUI without you having to do anything
graphical. and if you want no-mouse GUI (eg. dired), well, use dired on the
FUSEd filesystem. that is, as long as your data fits the filesystem metaphor.

> We'll see how it turns out...

anoop aryal
aaryal@foresightint.com