all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cannot have two processes for latex document
@ 2007-08-15 20:45 Alain Muls
From: Alain Muls @ 2007-08-15 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Hi

I edit/compile latex documents in Emacs. I would like to add a command
to view the pdf output using kpdf. I can run the command kpdf file.pdf,
but when I change something in the editor and want to recompile, I have
to close kpdf. I would like to change this so that kpdf can remain open.

kr/Alain

[-- Attachment #2: alain.muls.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Alain Muls
n:Muls;Alain
org:RMA;CISS
adr:;;Renaissance Avenue 30;Brussems;;1000;Belgium
email;internet:alain.muls@telenet.be
title:Prof
tel;work:+32.2.7376340
tel;cell:+32.477.675091
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: cannot have two processes for latex document
@ 2007-08-15 21:27 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-15 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Muls; +Cc: emacs list

Am 15.08.2007 um 22:45 schrieb Alain Muls:

>  I can run the command kpdf file.pdf, but when I change something
> in the editor and want to recompile, I have to close kpdf. I would
> like to change this so that kpdf can remain open.

Can't you make it to automatically reload the PDF file when it has
changed? Have you looked for applications that can do this? (I only
know of Mac OS X applications that can do that, xpdf needs an ``r´´
as does gv.)

AUCTeX or GNU Emacs can't communicate in a magical way with X
clients. If some X client does not support a particular function,
AUCTeX or GNU Emacs can't teach it. The viewer application (for DVI,
PS, or PDF) are stand-alone applications that get launched once. Then
they stand alone on the screen and either they do their job
automatically or the user does his or her job automatically.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Mac OS X is like a wigwam: no fences, no gates, but an apache inside.

* Re: cannot have two processes for latex document
@ 2007-08-15 21:30 ` Oleg Katsitadze
From: Oleg Katsitadze @ 2007-08-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Muls; +Cc: emacs list

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 10:45:25PM +0200, Alain Muls wrote:
> I edit/compile latex documents in Emacs. I would like to add a command to
> view the pdf output using kpdf. I can run the command kpdf file.pdf, but
> when I change something in the editor and want to recompile, I have to
> close kpdf. I would like to change this so that kpdf can remain open.

I don't know about kpdf, but you can do this (and more) with xpdf.
Start xpdf like this:

  $ xpdf -remote key file.pdf

Then compile your file like this:

  $ pdflatex file.tex && xpdf -remote key -raise -reload

You don't even need to press M-TAB (or whatever you use to switch
windows)!

HTH,
Oleg

* Re: cannot have two processes for latex document
@ 2007-08-15 21:56   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-15 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,----[ xpdf(1) ]
| 	Reload
| 		Reload  the  current PDF  file.   Note  that Xpdf  will
| 		reload  the file  automatically  (on a  page change  or
| 		redraw) if it has changed since it was last loaded.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: cannot have two processes for latex document
       [not found] <mailman.4836.1187210732.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-16 14:23 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-08-16 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> writes:

> Hi

Hello

> I edit/compile latex documents in Emacs. I would like to add a command
> to view the pdf output using kpdf. I can run the command kpdf
> file.pdf, but when I change something in the editor and want to
> recompile, I have to close kpdf. I would like to change this so that
> kpdf can remain open.

Alain, I do the same thing.  I am constantly running kpdf and kdvi
after compiling LaTeX; are you using AUCTeX?  I strongly recommend
it.  If you are, you can go into Customize and change the viewer
commands.  This does everything asynchronously, so that then you can
continue with your Emacsing.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

"It can be interesting to study ancient philosophy, but more as a kind
of accident report than to teach you anything useful."
                                        --Paul Graham
					http://www.paulgraham.com/raq.html