all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
@ 2007-08-23  9:58 desktop
From: desktop @ 2007-08-23  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am not very satisfied with using acroread 7 to view my pdf files. Is
there some way to use emacs to view pdf files instead? Could be nice to
have multiple buffers of the same file and be able to make bookmarks at
certain lines.

* Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
@ 2007-08-23 13:29 ` Stein Arild Strømme
From: Stein Arild Strømme @ 2007-08-23 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[desktop]

| I am not very satisfied with using acroread 7 to view my pdf files. Is
| there some way to use emacs to view pdf files instead? Could be nice
| to have multiple buffers of the same file and be able to make
| bookmarks at certain lines.

Hit the file with pdftotext first.  The result depends heavily on the
underlying structure of the PDF file, of course.

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

* Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
@ 2007-08-23 13:31 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-08-23 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

desktop <asdfsf@asd.com> writes:

> I am not very satisfied with using acroread 7 to view my pdf files. Is
> there some way to use emacs to view pdf files instead? Could be nice
> to have multiple buffers of the same file and be able to make
> bookmarks at certain lines.

It depends on what you mean by "read."  Try opening a PDF as text and
see what you get.

What operating system are you using?  I use either KPDF or Xpdf to
read pdf documents on Linux.  Both are very nice.  I open them from
dired using "M-!"

There are other pdf readers available for Linux --- and many for
Windows and Mac OS X.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
@ 2007-08-23 14:03   ` desktop
From: desktop @ 2007-08-23 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joel J. Adamson wrote:
> desktop <asdfsf@asd.com> writes:
>
>> I am not very satisfied with using acroread 7 to view my pdf files. Is
>> there some way to use emacs to view pdf files instead? Could be nice
>> to have multiple buffers of the same file and be able to make
>> bookmarks at certain lines.
>
> It depends on what you mean by "read."  Try opening a PDF as text and
> see what you get.

garbage

> What operating system are you using?  I use either KPDF or Xpdf to
> read pdf documents on Linux.  Both are very nice.  I open them from
> dired using "M-!"

I use Linux Ubuntu. In KPDF or Xpdf its not possible to have multiple
buffers of the same pdf file in the same instance of the program.
Further you cannot make bookmarks at certain linenumbers.

* Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
@ 2007-08-23 14:32 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-23 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

desktop <asdfsf@asd.com> writes:

Hi,

> I am not very satisfied with using acroread 7 to view my pdf files. Is
> there some way to use emacs to view pdf files instead?

Yesterday I wrote an extension for viewing PDF/PS and DVI files in
emacs.  It converts them to PNG (one image fer each page) and displays
the images then.

> Could be nice to have multiple buffers of the same file

You can make an indirect buffer, but since it always contains only one
page, both buffers will look identical.

> and be able to make bookmarks at certain lines.

Well, sadly that's not possible.

If you're interested anyway, have a look at:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DocViewMode
http://www.tsdh.de/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/doc-view.el

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun and won.

* Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
@ 2007-08-23 20:48     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I use Linux Ubuntu. In KPDF or Xpdf its not possible to have multiple
> buffers of the same pdf file in the same instance of the program.

Does it matter if it's the same instance or not?  The few times I need it,
I just run two `xpdf' processes showing the same PDF file.

> Further you cannot make bookmarks at certain linenumbers.

Freedom has a price.  But you can at least send a request for feature, or
pay someone to implement it.

* Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
@ 2007-08-23 21:20   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-08-23 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> desktop <asdfsf@asd.com> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I am not very satisfied with using acroread 7 to view my pdf files. Is
>> there some way to use emacs to view pdf files instead?
>
> Yesterday I wrote an extension for viewing PDF/PS and DVI files in
> emacs.  It converts them to PNG (one image fer each page) and displays
> the images then.

+1. This is the perfect tools for basic document reading in my
+opinion.

Regards
--
Xavier Maillard

* Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
@ 2007-08-23 23:47   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-08-23 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> desktop <asdfsf@asd.com> writes:
>
>> I am not very satisfied with using acroread 7 to view my pdf files. Is
>> there some way to use emacs to view pdf files instead? Could be nice
>> to have multiple buffers of the same file and be able to make
>> bookmarks at certain lines.
>
> It depends on what you mean by "read."  Try opening a PDF as text and
> see what you get.
>
> What operating system are you using?  I use either KPDF or Xpdf to
> read pdf documents on Linux.  Both are very nice.  I open them from
> dired using "M-!"
>
> There are other pdf readers available for Linux --- and many for
> Windows and Mac OS X.

I just reposted my txutils.el code to comp.emacs.sources. This mode allows
conversion of various file types (pdf, ps, doc etc) to text or html and
displays them in an emacs buffer as text.

I use it by advising the view-file function so that if you do a 'v' on one
of the supported file types (based on extension), it will convert the file
to text or html (dependinig on the underlying converter) and then
display. If the file is an HTML file, it uses browse-url to render and
display.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au