all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to setup forwarding of all email to gmail
@ 2008-03-06  2:02 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2008-03-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

Reframed question
What easier steps are there for a nonprogrammer to
setup forwarding to gmail for copies of all incoming email
so that the incoming email remain here.

Here, setting up filtering for spamassassin headers is too difficult
for a nonprogrammer and gmail retains the spam so that it can be
checked for false positives.

* Re: How to setup forwarding of all email to gmail
@ 2008-03-06  2:23 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2008-03-06  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

Amended question
What easier steps are there for a nonprogrammer to setup
forwarding to gmail for copies of all incoming email
so that the incoming emails remain here... (symptoms maybe
like dyslexia or maybe like ADD)

With gmail the spam is separated and can be checked for
the intermittent false positives.

For email here, RMAIL in EMACS
and from time to time mutt.

* Re: How to setup forwarding of all email to gmail
       [not found] <mailman.8405.1204768944.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-06  2:51 ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2008-03-06  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Don Saklad <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> Reframed question
> What easier steps are there for a nonprogrammer to
> setup forwarding to gmail for copies of all incoming email
> so that the incoming email remain here.
>
> Here, setting up filtering for spamassassin headers is too difficult
> for a nonprogrammer and gmail retains the spam so that it can be
> checked for false positives.

Normally this is a function of your email system, and nothing to do with
emacs. (in you case: zurich.csail.mit.edu)

If you have a webmail interface, try to find a option like "forwarding
to" and put your gmail address in.

If you are using a linux/unix server, try to put your gmail address in
your $HOME/.forward file.

Cheers,
poppyer

* Re: How to setup forwarding of all email to gmail
@ 2008-03-06  3:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-06  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Saklad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Don Saklad <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> What easier steps are there for a nonprogrammer to setup
> forwarding to gmail for copies of all incoming email
> so that the incoming emails remain here... (symptoms maybe
> like dyslexia or maybe like ADD)

I suppose you get your email via fetchmail or some similar mechanism.
Then what your need is a ~/.procmailrc file with this rule:

:0 c
! youremail@gmail.com

This will forward all incoming emails to youremail@gmail.com and will
keep a local copy.  Please google around for further explanations on
procmail, this is really off topic...

--
Bastien

* Re: How to setup forwarding of all email to gmail
@ 2008-03-06  7:31   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-03-06  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Don Saklad <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> What easier steps are there for a nonprogrammer to setup
>> forwarding to gmail for copies of all incoming email
>> so that the incoming emails remain here... (symptoms maybe
>> like dyslexia or maybe like ADD)
>
> I suppose you get your email via fetchmail or some similar mechanism.
> Then what your need is a ~/.procmailrc file with this rule:
>
> :0 c
> ! youremail@gmail.com
>
> This will forward all incoming emails to youremail@gmail.com and will
> keep a local copy.  Please google around for further explanations on
> procmail, this is really off topic...

Just set pop and/or imap options in the google webmail and thats done.
--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: How to setup forwarding of all email to gmail
@ 2008-03-06 11:58 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2008-03-06 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

     > Just set pop and/or imap options in the google webmail and
     > thats done.

Avoid sharing passwords

* Re: How to setup forwarding of all email to gmail
@ 2008-03-06 15:01 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-03-06 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Saklad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Don Saklad <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> Reframed question
> What easier steps are there for a *nonprogrammer* to
> setup forwarding to gmail for copies of all incoming email
> so that the incoming email remain here.
[emphasis added]

I suggest you become a programmer.  Until then you'll be a victim of the
people who are programmers, some of whom have dubious goals in creating
software.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.