all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ELisp: special read syntax for regular expressions?
@ 2008-04-05 11:17 Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2008-04-05 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A few of years ago RMS asked me what one could do to make ELisp regular
expressions more handable.

Now, when the support for Perl REx in CPerl mode is finally finished,
I think I know the answer: one needs to allow a special read syntax
for regular expressions (the result being an ordinary string).  This
way one can avoid the acute backslashitis [by inverting \( and (,
etc], the regular expressions may be specially indented, and the
syntax highlighter would have a chance to remove most of the remaining
complexity by proper highlighting (similar to CPerl one).

What do you think?

Yours,
Ilya

P.S.  I put example of how my (Perl) test "code" is highlighted to

	ilyaz.org/software/tmp/CPerl-REx-highlight.png