all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Availability of unicode glyphs on XP
@ 2009-06-10 14:40 Uwe Siart
       [not found] ` <mailman.379.1244650931.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Uwe Siart @ 2009-06-10 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm using pretest Emacs 23.0.94.1 on both platforms W2k SP4 and XP SP3.
By

,----
| M-x describe-input-method RET rfc1345 RET
`----

I get the full list of RFC1345 mnemonics.

On W2k almost all glyphs (aside from a couple of octal sequences) are
displayed. On XP, however, I get a lot of blank boxes there, just as if
all those glyphs were not included in the font.

Both Emacsen have identical settings and I did not make any changes to
the font variables ('fixed-pitch' points to Family:Monospace). I really
think this problem is due to the underlying platform or settings of the
same rather than an Emacs bug.

But I have no clue where to begin my search. Can anyone give me some
direction how to track down this problem? Could the system fonts in W2k
be more complete than they are in XP? I can hardly believe.

--
Uwe

* Re: Availability of unicode glyphs on XP
@ 2009-06-10 16:22 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.379.1244650931.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-06-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Siart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Please file a bug report with

   M-x report-emacs-bug

@ 2009-06-11  6:02   ` Uwe Siart
From: Uwe Siart @ 2009-06-11  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Please file a bug report with
>
>    M-x report-emacs-bug

Done.

--

@ 2009-06-11 18:36     ` Uwe Siart
From: Uwe Siart @ 2009-06-11 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uwe Siart <usenet@siart.de> writes:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Please file a bug report with
>>
>>    M-x report-emacs-bug
>
> Done.

The problem is solved. It had nothing to do with Emacs at all. On the
W2k machine the font »Arial Unicode MS« was installed and Emacs took the
glyphs from there. This font does not seem to be part of a standard
windows installation so it wasn't available on my (newly installed) XP
machine.

--
Uwe