all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* open files as root
@ 2009-08-29 12:36 henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2009-08-29 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there another way as with tramp to open files as root within emacs?
(Since I am sure that tramp and I never will be friends in this life)

Regards
henry
--
http://literaturlatenight.de

* Re: open files as root
@ 2009-08-29 13:07 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-08-29 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henry atting <nsmp_01@online.de> writes:

> Is there another way as with tramp to open files as root within emacs?

No.

> (Since I am sure that tramp and I never will be friends in this life)

Partners is all you need.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: open files as root
@ 2009-08-29 13:40 ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2009-08-29 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henry atting wrote:

> Is there another way as with tramp to open files as root within emacs?
> (Since I am sure that tramp and I never will be friends in this life)
>
> Regards
> henry
If you have setup sudo:

/sudo:root@localhost:/tmp

* Re: open files as root
@ 2009-08-29 16:13   ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2009-08-29 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sa, Aug 29 2009, David Kastrup wrote:

> henry atting <nsmp_01@online.de> writes:
>
>> Is there another way as with tramp to open files as root within emacs?
>
> No.
>
>> (Since I am sure that tramp and I never will be friends in this life)
>
> Partners is all you need.

Okay, tramp won, I switched from zsh (which impressing functionality I
don't use anyway) back to bash.

(I now the appropriate lines which are to add to .zshrc, but this time
they don't work – another time they did.)

henry

--

@ 2009-08-29 17:48     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-08-29 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Henry,
you can use a function like this:

,----
| (defun find-file-as-root (file)
|   (interactive "fFindFileAsRoot: ")
|   (find-file (concat "/su::" (expand-file-name file))))
`----

Replace /su: by /sudo: if you are a sudo user (Debian?)

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: open files as root
@ 2009-08-31 13:34     ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-08-31 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

At Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:13:29 +0200,
henry atting <nsmp_01@online.de> wrote:

> On Sa, Aug 29 2009, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > henry atting <nsmp_01@online.de> writes:
> >
> >> Is there another way as with tramp to open files as root within emacs?
> >
> > No.
> >
> >> (Since I am sure that tramp and I never will be friends in this life)
> >
> > Partners is all you need.
>
> Okay, tramp won, I switched from zsh (which impressing functionality I
> don't use anyway) back to bash.
>
> (I now the appropriate lines which are to add to .zshrc, but this time
> they don't work – another time they did.)

No need to drop zsh, just set a proper regex for
tramp-shell-prompt-pattern. This is what works for me:

  (setq tramp-shell-prompt-pattern "^[^$>\n]*[#$%>] *\\(\[[0-9;]*[a-zA-Z] *\\)*")

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: open files as root
@ 2009-09-01  6:05       ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2009-09-01  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mo, Aug 31 2009, Anselm Helbig wrote:

> Hi!
>
> At Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:13:29 +0200,
> henry atting <nsmp_01@online.de> wrote:

>> > No.

>> > Partners is all you need.
>>
>> Okay, tramp won, I switched from zsh (which impressing functionality I
>> don't use anyway) back to bash.
>>
>> (I now the appropriate lines which are to add to .zshrc, but this time
>> they don't work – another time they did.)
>
> No need to drop zsh, just set a proper regex for
> tramp-shell-prompt-pattern. This is what works for me:
>
>   (setq tramp-shell-prompt-pattern "^[^$>\n]*[#$%>] *\\(\[[0-9;]*[a-zA-Z] *\\)*")
>
> HTH,
>
> Anselm

Thanks Anselm, yes that helps.

Such a thrill: tramp and me are real partners now.

henry

--
http://literaturlatenight.de