all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* lisp package for tracking changes made within a document
@ 2010-10-24  4:27 Po-Tai Cheng
From: Po-Tai Cheng @ 2010-10-24  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Folks,
I am now editing a draft LaTeX document with other co-authors of the
paper. Is there any lisp package that can show what I deleted from and
what I add into the document? This can help my co-authors to
understand better what I edited.

Thanks.

* Re: lisp package for tracking changes made within a document
@ 2010-10-24  5:15 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-10-24  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Po-Tai Cheng <ptcheng@gmail.com> writes:

> Folks,
> I am now editing a draft LaTeX document with other co-authors of the
> paper. Is there any lisp package that can show what I deleted from and
> what I add into the document? This can help my co-authors to
> understand better what I edited.

M-x diff RET
M-x ediff RET
M-x ediff3 RET

In particular, ediff3 is useful to compare changes made at the same time
by coworkers:

                      /   \
                     B     C

From a source document A, coworker b produces document B, and coworker c
produces document C.  ediff3 allows you to see what changes were made by
each, and allows you to interactively merge a new version of the
document with changes from either or both of the coworkers.
You need to keep around the original document A to do this of course,
otherwise you will have to use ediff-merge.