all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tar command in dired
@ 2011-03-23 17:23 Ed Reingold
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1300904455.786.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ed Reingold @ 2011-03-23 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In an old version of GNU Emacs there was an add-on to dired that
would tar the directory at the cursor.  Does this facility exist in
23.3?
I looked in the dired*.el files, but found nothing.  It was very
useful!

* Re: tar command in dired
@ 2011-03-23 18:20 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1300904455.786.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2011-03-23 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-03-24 01:23 +0800, Ed Reingold wrote:
> In an old version of GNU Emacs there was an add-on to dired that
> would tar the directory at the cursor.  Does this facility exist in
> 23.3?
> I looked in the dired*.el files, but found nothing.  It was very
> useful!

I am curious too. What did you do in old emacs to achieve that?

Leo

* Re: tar command in dired
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1300904455.786.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-23 18:30   ` Ed Reingold
From: Ed Reingold @ 2011-03-23 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 23, 1:20 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-03-24 01:23 +0800, Ed Reingold wrote:
>
> I am curious too. What did you do in old emacs to achieve that?

It was an old (1993) file by Jum Blandy called dired-tar.el.
I just tried it and it worked--at least for un-tar'ing.

* Re: tar command in dired
@ 2011-03-23 18:49     ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-03-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

23/03/11 19:30, Ed Reingold
> On Mar 23, 1:20 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2011-03-24 01:23 +0800, Ed Reingold wrote:
>>
>> I am curious too. What did you do in old emacs to achieve that?
>
> It was an old (1993) file by Jum Blandy called dired-tar.el.
> I just tried it and it worked--at least for un-tar'ing.

For untaring, ! RET does pretty much the same thing. As for taring, !
tar c RET does the trick, and you can make a macro/function of
it. Doesn't seem worth it to have a package do that.