all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* EMMS best practice, tag editing and fetching lyrics
@ 2012-05-20 14:33 Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2012-05-20 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am (again) attempting to convert to using EMMS as a front end for mpd
instead of using ncmpcp, but am struggling to get a good setup and
efficient usage, and hence wonder how emacs users play their music
files?

I have been scavenging the net for some basics on emms and mpd, but
haven't been very succesful, hence this mail to see if I am missing some
essential sources.

I find ncmpcpp  nice and full featured, with the (huge) drawback that the
keybindings are unintuitive from an emacs perspective - ideally
I'd like the same or similar features within emacs / EMMS.

Fetching lyrics
===============

ncpmcpp fetches lyrics from the web from a default set of locations. In
EMMS, this can (possibly) be done via emms-get-lyrics [1], via more
or less complex methods [2], but the "default" seems to be getting
lyrics from a local file (which is rarely / never present on my system)
[3]. I like the ncmpcpp way that "just works", what is the best practice
to achieve this in EMMS?

Tag editor refresh and Multiple genres
======================================

I haven't found a convenient way to edit tags in ncmpcp and envision
this should be nicely done in emacs through emms. The method I am using
is to mark a set of files in the playlist using 'emms-mark-forward' [4]
and then doing 'emms-tag-editor-edit-marked-tracks' and use the tag
editor for this. (any better practices?) After this the playlist is
messed up and I haven't yet found a way to redisplay the buffer?

Is there any way to specify multiple genres for a track, so that when
filtering by genres, the track shows up under multiple categories? [6]

Footnotes:
[1]  http://emacswiki.org/emacs/emms-get-lyrics.el

[2]  http://www.kipuamutay.com/en/blog/listeningInternetRadioWithLyricsFromCli.html

[3]  http://www.gnu.org/software/emms/manual/Lyrics.html

[4]  This function is not bound per default, which seems unintuitive,
but of course can be easily customised.

[6]  This could probably be generalised for all fields, e.g. multiple
artists, but it may not even be desirable as the limitation seems to be
inherent in the mp3 format.

Cheers,

--
Johnny