all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
To: James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>
Cc: "Kumar, Amit" <ahkumar@mail.smu.edu>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs Display Recangular blocks instead of fonts
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 22:42:54 +0900	[thread overview]

James Cloos writes:

 > SJT> I don't recall exactly how modern X servers handle server-side fonts.
 >
 > The majority of the current distributions default to installing the X
 > server with built-in support for the misc-fixed and cursor fonts and
 > with the font-path set to "built-ins" (to find those two).

But I would think misc-fixed is somewhere in the list that the OP
posted, and it should be able to handle the Emacs splash screen and
most code (including the tags in SGML and TeX macros, as well as
keywords in all common languages).  So I'm still surprised at his
results.

 > They expect everything to use client-side fonts.

Indeed, upgrading to a fontconfig/Xrender-capable Emacs solved his
problem.