all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#2690: 23.0.91; line spacing with X servers
@ 2009-03-16 20:04 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-16 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Hello!

In Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) I have as default from Apple an X11R6.6
based XFree86 4.4.0 X server. With this one everything is OK in terms
of line spacing. From the MacPorts project (installed in /opt tree) I
can compile, install, and run X.org Release 7.3 for Tiger (XQuartz
2.3.3 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple35)). It does not offer much I am
missing (transparency), but it is the same X server that is
distributed with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). This X server shows in GNU
Emacsen 23.0.x a reduced line spacing, independent from the X toolkit
Xaw3d or GTK. The descenders of g, p, q, ... penetrate the next line
(particularly visible by flashing effects of the horizontal "bar" of
g's descender for example when a shell command or a compile process
produce output outside, below, my stable viewport, or when scroll-up
or scroll-finishes and the view stabilises, and from time to time
when only the cursor is blinking – anti-aliasing?).

GNU Emacsen 22.x do not show this effect. Today I made two tests: I
first compiled GNU Emacs 22.3 with the X11R7.3 software – no effect
on line spacing, in neither X servers, everything's OK. And I
compiled GNU Emacs 23.0.91, updated today, with Apple's X11R6.6 and
some "auxiliary" software (GTK, libs TIFF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, RSVG, XPM)
from X11R6.6 based Fink project (installed in /sw tree). It shows the
too tight line spacing effect in X11R7.3. All use libfontconfig 1 or
2 and libfreetype. Libotf is not used. The X11R6.6 version does not
use libXft, for which I can't check the cause because the
configure.log file is just a few 100 bytes long.

I did not check with lsof that the Emacs binaries are really using
those shared libraries they are linked to (I rely on the output of
otool, Apple's ldd command), but I can check upon request. Do you
have an explanation for the X server's behaviour? And also a cure?

There is another effect in *shell* buffer: just pressing RET on an
empty line positions the cursor in the next line in column 0, at the
beginning of the prompt (%n ! /\  in tcsh) which is customised and
not manipulated by ANSI.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
  of 2009-03-16 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.10402000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '--
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include' '--x-
libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/
Emacs' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -
fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -
foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-
partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'LDFLAGS=-
dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/usr/X11R6/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-
cpp-precomp -I/usr/include/openssl -I/sw/include/pango-1.0 -I/sw/lib/
fontconfig2/include -I/usr/local/include -I/sw/include''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no place like ~
		– (UNIX Guru)

* bug#2690: 23.0.91; line spacing with X servers
@ 2014-02-06  1:09 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-02-06  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: 2690

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Freenet.DE> writes:

> GNU Emacsen 22.x do not show this effect. Today I made two tests: I
> first compiled GNU Emacs 22.3 with the X11R7.3 software – no effect on
> line spacing, in neither X servers, everything's OK. And I compiled
> GNU Emacs 23.0.91, updated today, with Apple's X11R6.6 and some
> "auxiliary" software (GTK, libs TIFF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, RSVG, XPM) from
> X11R6.6 based Fink project (installed in /sw tree). It shows the too
> tight line spacing effect in X11R7.3. All use libfontconfig 1 or 2 and
> libfreetype. Libotf is not used. The X11R6.6 version does not use
> libXft, for which I can't check the cause because the configure.log
> file is just a few 100 bytes long.
>
> I did not check with lsof that the Emacs binaries are really using
> those shared libraries they are linked to (I rely on the output of
> otool, Apple's ldd command), but I can check upon request. Do you have
> an explanation for the X server's behaviour? And also a cure?
>
> There is another effect in *shell* buffer: just pressing RET on an
> empty line positions the cursor in the next line in column 0, at the
> beginning of the prompt (%n ! /\  in tcsh) which is customised and not
> manipulated by ANSI.

This bug report was previously marked "unreproducible".  Are you still
seeing this problem in Emacs 24.3?

* bug#2690: 23.0.91; line spacing with X servers
@ 2014-02-06 20:57   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2014-02-06 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 2690

Am 06.02.2014 um 02:09 schrieb Lars Ingebrigtsen:

> This bug report was previously marked "unreproducible".  Are you still
> seeing this problem in Emacs 24.3?

No. I am still building Emacsen with two versions of X11 and both described effects have gone.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Klingons do not believe in indentation - except perhaps in the skulls of their project managers."