all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Physically Rotate Text
       [not found] <mailman.138733.1410339614.1146.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-10  9:32 ` Tory S. Anderson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2014-09-10  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
>> torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:
>>> Here's what I'm looking for: the ability to change a block from a
>>> horizontal to a vertical layout of text. This would be part of emacs
>>> super ASCII non-graphical powers, so that if I'm modelling a bar
>>> chart, I can convert it to a column chart:
>> M-x rotate-ccw-region RET
>
> Google says this is one of your own function, which means one should
> first load e.g.
> http://www.informatimago.com/develop/emacs/emacs/pjb-transpose.el

Ah, knew I could count on you guys!

>> And - why do you want this, Mr. Anderson? :)
Maybe I'm just a lowly designer who wants to be able to convert ASCII bar graphs to column graphs. Yeah, that's it. Certainly nothing to do with my requiring this function to unravel the Matrix. Nope.

* Gnus Subscribing to Newsgroup
       [not found] <mailman.138733.1410339614.1146.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-10  9:38 ` Tory S. Anderson
       [not found] ` <mailman.8604.1410341530.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.8605.1410341897.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2014-09-10  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Say, I use Gnus and get my list emails as a digest, which is great for reading but tricky for replying. Is there an easier way here? Just get individual emails and sort them into folders, or something related to those cryptic "news group" things?

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 21:21:50 -0400
From: Ken <kensubuntu@gmail.com>
To: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Basic emacs lisp question

> PS. Note how you reply to my posts - reply to the
>     list/newsgroup, not to my e-mail. DS.

Sorry about that. I use gnus and I haven't trained my fingers to use F
rather than R yet.

Ken

--
The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference
between a mermaid and a seal.

* Re: Physically Rotate Text
       [not found] ` <mailman.8604.1410341530.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-10 21:42   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-10 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Certainly nothing to do with my requiring this
> function to unravel the Matrix.

Next time, ask for that instead!

--
underground experts united

* Re: Gnus Subscribing to Newsgroup
       [not found] ` <mailman.8605.1410341897.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-10 22:05   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-10 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Say, I use Gnus and get my list emails as a digest,
> which is great for reading but tricky for replying. Is
> there an easier way here? Just get individual emails
> and sort them into folders, or something related to
> those cryptic "news group" things?

I don't understand, what problem are you experiencing?

Newsgroups are in my experience the best if you use
Gnus. For example gnu.emacs.help - this list/group.

For lists that aren't groups as well, as you already
seem to know (?) you can use mail splitting to make
those mails appear to be newsgroups - not just appear,
in all essence, it is the same (they respond the same
way to commands in the Group buffer, for example).

Splitting may look like this:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
 '(("zsh"          "^\\(Cc\\|\\(Resent-\\)?To\\):.*zsh-\\(announce\\|workers\\|users\\)@zsh\.org.*")
   ("debian.user"  "^\\(Cc\\|\\(Resent-\\)?To\\):.*debian-user@lists\.debian\.org.*")
   ("l4"           "^\\(Cc\\|\\(Resent-\\)?To\\):.*l4-hackers@os\.inf\.tu-dresden\.de.*")
   ("emacs-w3m"    "^Subject: \\[emacs-w3m.*")
   ; ...
   ("mail.misc"    "") ))

How to reply? Use
`gnus-article-followup-with-original'. It is bound to F
but you can rebind it to r (or whatever) if you are not
happy with having to use a two-key stroke for something
that frequent.

Check the headers in the message-mode buffer if you are
in doubt.

The only practical difference I have experienced
between mailgroups and newsgroups (except the small
overhead of setting up split-methods) is faces (fonts).
Those are named differently: instead of
`gnus-group-news-1' (etc.), `gnus-group-mail-1'.

--
underground experts united