all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* PdfTeXing with Emacs' TeX input method not working
@ 2014-09-25  7:07 H. Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found] ` <mailman.9616.1411661658.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-09-25  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello (),

I'm playing with the TeX input method for better visualising some Calc
formulae from embedded mode.  But when I trying to pdftex the uft8 file
it says:

l.42 \(Ω
          := 120000. rpm\)

! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:Ω not set up for use with LaTeX.

I did already \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}, which package or
configuration am I missing?

Thanks a lot
       Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: PdfTeXing with Emacs' TeX input method not working
       [not found] <mailman.9549.1411629034.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-25  9:15 ` Álvar Ibeas
From: Álvar Ibeas @ 2014-09-25  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> l.42 \(Ω
>           := 120000. rpm\)

Hi,

For directly typing greek letters in math mode (avoiding commands like
\Omega), you can load the "alphabeta" package. You may also need
\usepackage[greek]{babel}.

Although not strictly related to the topic, xelatex and the xunicode
package make a great tool for varied input encodings.

* Re: PdfTeXing with Emacs' TeX input method not working
@ 2014-09-25 11:12 ` Rasmus
       [not found] ` <mailman.9616.1411661658.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-25 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:

> Hello (),
>
> I'm playing with the TeX input method for better visualising some Calc
> formulae from embedded mode.  But when I trying to pdftex the uft8 file
> it says:
>
> l.42 \(Ω
>           := 120000. rpm\)
>
> ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:Ω not set up for use with LaTeX.
>
> I did already \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}, which package or
> configuration am I missing?

This is to be expected since you are in math mode.  For visualization
you might enjoy org-entities, and for quick typing you may find org's
bindings for cdlatex useful (On my keyboard I get "\Omega" by typing
"¨O", but I customized "¨").

ibeas@gmx.com (Álvar Ibeas) writes:

> For directly typing greek letters in math mode (avoiding commands like
> \Omega), you can load the "alphabeta" package. You may also need
> \usepackage[greek]{babel}.

I think LyX does something similar for people with Greek keyboards.
The way LyX does it is *really* annoying since the case isn't right.
Alphabeta may be more cleverer, though.

> Although not strictly related to the topic, xelatex and the xunicode
> package make a great tool for varied input encodings.

What's the point of xunicode?  The readme is very sparse, and I
thought xeleatex is always unicode?

The way I would approach the problem is xelatex (or lualatex) and the
package unicode math.  Consider this minimal example, where I don't
even know myself what the math means (mostly I wanted to show
\mathbb{1}, one of the greatest benefits of unicode-math)

    \documentclass{minimal}
    \usepackage{unicode-math}
    \begin{document}
    $Ω≔\mathbb{1}\{∀ πᵢ ∈ Π\colon πᵢ = f(p_{i})\}$
    \end{document}

As you can see you can nicely mix unicode symbols and "classic" LaTeX.
Unicdode-math supports an abyss of symbols.  See "texdoc
unimath-symbols" (in your shell when texlive in installed)

—Rasmus

--
A page of history is worth a volume of logic

@ 2014-09-25 19:48   ` Álvar Ibeas
From: Álvar Ibeas @ 2014-09-25 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> What's the point of xunicode?  The readme is very sparse, and I
> thought xeleatex is always unicode?

Well, I just use xunicode as the way to translate the various characters
into commands. I didn't know about unicode-math, which I see works in
math mode as well.