all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* visiting files in Bazaar workarea
@ 2014-11-01  6:07 Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2014-11-01  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

hi,

if i run:
  $ emacs -Q some_filename

in a directory which contains (or its parent has) .bzr directory *and*
currently don't have connection to the corresponding Bazaar repository,
Emacs stalls and fails to load the file.  An example would be when
Bazaar repository is somewhere on the LAN and temporarily there's no
connection to it.

If the .bzr directory is renamed to something else everything works just
fine.

A similar situation exists when Emacs executable is run (after building)
from a directory with source code pulled out from Bazaar repo (e.g
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/). When an *.el file is opened
in that tree (e.g. describe-function) Emacs does its voodoo by
connecting to the Bzr repo across the internet which can take
considerable time and you cannot do much until this is finished.

Anybody knows about a nice way around this?

--
Rgds, Bernardo

* Re: visiting files in Bazaar workarea
@ 2014-11-01  8:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-01  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> From: Bernardo <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com>
> Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 17:07:49 +1100
>
> if i run:
>   $ emacs -Q some_filename
>
> in a directory which contains (or its parent has) .bzr directory *and*
> currently don't have connection to the corresponding Bazaar repository,
> Emacs stalls and fails to load the file.  An example would be when
> Bazaar repository is somewhere on the LAN and temporarily there's no
> connection to it.

Is that Bazaar branch a lightweight checkout?  That is, did you
checkout the directory in a way that leaves all the meta-data on the
remote server?

What was the command you used to checkout the Emacs development tree?

AFAIK, the only situation where bzr wants to connect to the remote
server is when the meta-data is not available locally.  The default is
to have it cloned to the local computer, so you must have done
something to prevent that.

> Anybody knows about a nice way around this?

Yes, don't use lightweight checkouts.

* Re: visiting files in Bazaar workarea
@ 2014-11-01 13:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-01 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> if i run:
>   $ emacs -Q some_filename

> in a directory which contains (or its parent has) .bzr directory *and*
> currently don't have connection to the corresponding Bazaar repository,
> Emacs stalls and fails to load the file.

That'd be a bug.  So please report it accordingly.

* Re: visiting files in Bazaar workarea
@ 2014-11-02  1:49   ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2014-11-02  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

>> if i run:
>>   $ emacs -Q some_filename
>
>> in a directory which contains (or its parent has) .bzr directory *and*
>> currently don't have connection to the corresponding Bazaar repository,
>> Emacs stalls and fails to load the file.
>
> That'd be a bug.  So please report it accordingly.

done

* Re: visiting files in Bazaar workarea
@ 2014-11-02  1:53   ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2014-11-02  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

>> if i run:
>>   $ emacs -Q some_filename
>>
>> in a directory which contains (or its parent has) .bzr directory *and*
>> currently don't have connection to the corresponding Bazaar repository,
>> Emacs stalls and fails to load the file.  An example would be when
>> Bazaar repository is somewhere on the LAN and temporarily there's no
>> connection to it.
>
> Is that Bazaar branch a lightweight checkout?  That is, did you
> checkout the directory in a way that leaves all the meta-data on the
> remote server?
>
> What was the command you used to checkout the Emacs development tree?
>
> AFAIK, the only situation where bzr wants to connect to the remote
> server is when the meta-data is not available locally.  The default is
> to have it cloned to the local computer, so you must have done
> something to prevent that.
>
>> Anybody knows about a nice way around this?
>
> Yes, don't use lightweight checkouts.

you're right - in both instances it was a lightweight checkout;

my mind was focused on searching for solutions *within* Emacs and failed
to see the problem's context

thanks