all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: [OT] reading recommendations?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:53:20 +0800	[thread overview]

This question is going to be seriously OT, but I can't think of a better
place to ask it:

I'm looking for reading recommendations, for books about tool use.
Specifically: discussions about how the human sense of self (physical,
and social) is extended and altered by the presence and use of tools.
You've heard the sociologist's observation that, when drivers gets
rear-ended, they don't usually say "that car hit my car", but instead,
"that car hit ME". That sort of thing. Readings based in neurology,
philosophy, sociology -- anything would be great.

I'm asking here because I think Emacs (and Vim) are perfect examples of
"tools" which are "used", as opposed to "machines" which are "operated".
They extend the boundaries of the self, and their usage is in a way more
physical than mental.

I would like to read anything by any smart person who has thought deeply
about this question.

That's all! Apologies for the distraction.

Eric