all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-02 14:03 Jorge
From: Jorge @ 2015-10-02 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use a cloud synchronization service, which provides the folder
~/$cloud_folder/
both in my personal notebook and in my work desktop.
My personal notebook's ~/.emacs.d is synchronized with the cloud
synchronization service through a symlink:
~/.emacs.d -> ~/$cloud_folder/.emacs.d
In my work desktop, I have a separate ~/.emacs.d - it is not
completely synchronized with the cloud - but I do symlink init.el to
the cloud via a symlink:
~/.emacs.d/init.el -> ~/$cloud_folder/.emacs.d/init.el
Therefore, both machines share the same init.el.

Can I also symlink ~/.emacs.d/elpa to the cloud, so that both machines
would share the same ~/.emacs.d/elpa ? They both run emacs 24.5
(compiled from source) on Ubuntu 15.04 on AMD64.

Regards

--
- Prefira formatos abertos como PDF, ODF, TeX, Vorbis, Opus, WebM e 7z.
- Software livre, gratuito e de qualidade:

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-02 15:54 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-10-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, of course.

Just like you can share it over NFS or any other file system.
You can share them even between different systems using different
Emacs versions, different processor architectures, and/or different OSes.

At least, if that leads to problems, then I'd recommend you file them
as bugs.

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-02 15:59 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-02 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sharing init.el and elpa/ should be fine as long as it is shared by
emacscen of the same version.

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-10-02 17:05   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-02 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@Stefan, sharing elpa/ between at least emacs 24.5 and emacs 25.x (git
master) does not work as the complied .elc files are not compatible between
the two versions.

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-10-02 19:05     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-10-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> @Stefan, sharing elpa/ between at least emacs 24.5 and emacs 25.x (git
> master) does not work as the complied .elc files are not compatible between
> the two versions.

Just jumping in as I have the two version problem.

I am fine with most of my stuff managed by cask, therefore aware of
versions. But how can I manage org, which is via git? Any smart
suggestion how I can use this between two versions on one machine?

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-02 19:23       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-02 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I also update org via git and faced the compiled code incompatibility
issue. I resolved it the same way .. using version specific compiled org
dirs.

Here's the full code gathered from various places in my config:

Part 1:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/56b84df6ff399ab65c040d4d872dc65fb45515e6/init.el#L9-L13
(setq user-home-directory     (concat (getenv "HOME") "/")) ; must end with
/
(setq user-emacs-directory    (concat user-home-directory ".emacs.d/")) ;
must end with /
(setq emacs-version-short     (replace-regexp-in-string
                               "\\([0-9]+\\)\\.\\([0-9]+\\).*"
                               "\\1_\\2" emacs-version)) ; 25.0.50.1 -> 25_0

Part 2:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/56b84df6ff399ab65c040d4d872dc65fb45515e6/setup-files/setup-org.el#L32-L34
    (add-to-list 'load-path (concat user-emacs-directory
                                    "elisp/org-mode/lisp_"
                                    emacs-version-short "/"))

Part 3: The nasty part.
Use a shell script or script of your preferred flavor to build org-mode for
each of the emacs versions you are using and copy the built lisp/ dir to
the version specific lisp dir.

#!/bin/tcsh -f
# Build script to compile org mode lisp for different emacs versions

#
# Back up your $PATH
#

alias get_org_mode_lisp_dir_suffix '\emacs --version | \grep -oE '"'"'Emacs
[0-9]+\.[0-9]+'"'"' | \awk '"'"'{print $2}'"'"' | \tr "." "_"'

#** Build for emacs master

#
# Set the $PATH *here* to use the emacs master (built from latest in git)
# I use something work proprietary like GNU Modules to do this
#

echo "\nBuilding for emacs version: "`\emacs --version | \grep -E 'Emacs
[0-9]+\.[0-9]+'`"\n"
make clean
make
set org_mode_lisp_dir = "lisp_"`get_org_mode_lisp_dir_suffix`
if ( -d "${org_mode_lisp_dir}" ) then
    \rm -rf ${org_mode_lisp_dir}
endif
\cp -rf lisp ${org_mode_lisp_dir}

#** Build for emacs 24.5

#
# Set the $PATH *here* to use emacs 24.5
# I use something work proprietary like GNU Modules to do this
#

echo "\nBuilding for emacs version: "`\emacs --version | \grep -E 'Emacs
[0-9]+\.[0-9]+'`"\n"
make clean
make
set org_mode_lisp_dir = "lisp_"`get_org_mode_lisp_dir_suffix`
if ( -d "${org_mode_lisp_dir}" ) then
    \rm -rf ${org_mode_lisp_dir}
endif
\cp -rf lisp ${org_mode_lisp_dir}

unalias get_org_mode_lisp_dir_suffix
unset {org_mode_lisp_dir}

#
# Restore your $PATH to point to your default emacs version
#

Part 4: Restart any one of the versions of emacs for which you compiled the
org files in Part 3. The org stuff will work just fine as it would pick out
the org files from the correct lisp_<<emacs-version-short>>/ directory.

I hope all of this makes sense.

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-10-02 19:35     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-10-02 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> @Stefan, sharing elpa/ between at least emacs 24.5 and emacs 25.x (git
> master) does not work as the complied .elc files are not compatible between
> the two versions.

Indeed, I realize just after I hit "send" that there is already a known
bug in that area: if you share that directory between different Emacs
versions, you have to be careful to always install the packages with the
*older* Emacs version: a package installed with Emacs-NN will should
work fine on Emacs≥NN, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-03 20:04       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-10-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> @Stefan, sharing elpa/ between at least emacs 24.5 and emacs 25.x (git
>> master) does not work as the complied .elc files are not compatible between
>> the two versions.
>
> Just jumping in as I have the two version problem.
>
> I am fine with most of my stuff managed by cask, therefore aware of
> versions. But how can I manage org, which is via git? Any smart
> suggestion how I can use this between two versions on one machine?

I use "use-package" and ":ensure" which pulls down everything from ELPA.
So I share my .emacs between machines but not my elpa directory.

In terms of supporting multiple versions of Emacs, I use this....

(setq package-user-dir (concat "~/.emacs.d/elpa/"
                               ;; if we use emacs-version we get a
                               ;; LOT of pre-release directories.
                               (int-to-string emacs-major-version)
                               "."
                               (int-to-string emacs-minor-version)))

With org, not sure what the problem is? You want to run this directly off
a git clone? I wrote "git-update.el" for use with use-package -- you
should just be able to clone org twice.

Phil

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-05  7:54         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-10-05  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]

> #
>
> echo "\nBuilding for emacs version: "`\emacs --version | \grep -E 'Emacs
> [0-9]+\.[0-9]+'`"\n"
> make clean
> make
> set org_mode_lisp_dir = "lisp_"`get_org_mode_lisp_dir_suffix`
> if ( -d "${org_mode_lisp_dir}" ) then
>     \rm -rf ${org_mode_lisp_dir}
> endif
> \cp -rf lisp ${org_mode_lisp_dir}
>
> unalias get_org_mode_lisp_dir_suffix
> unset {org_mode_lisp_dir}
>
> #
> # Restore your $PATH to point to your default emacs version
> #
>
> Part 4: Restart any one of the versions of emacs for which you compiled the
> org files in Part 3. The org stuff will work just fine as it would pick out
> the org files from the correct lisp_<<emacs-version-short>>/ directory.

Thanks - makes perfect sense. My only question is the contrib
directory. I assume I simply also have to copy the files in the same
version specific lisp dir?

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-05 10:19           ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-10-05 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 09:54:24AM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> Thanks - makes perfect sense. My only question is the contrib
> directory. I assume I simply also have to copy the files in the same
> version specific lisp dir?

Add something like this to local.mk (if non-existent, create one)

  ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-notmuch ox-groff ox-koma-letter

Also, I would recommend running uncompiled rather than deal with
versions.

  $ make autoloads

and that's it.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-05 11:34             ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-10-05 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 09:54:24AM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>
>> Thanks - makes perfect sense. My only question is the contrib
>> directory. I assume I simply also have to copy the files in the same
>> version specific lisp dir?
>
> Add something like this to local.mk (if non-existent, create one)
>
>   ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-notmuch ox-groff ox-koma-letter

Thanks - haven't looked at that file yet. So than the specified files
would be compiled and put in the contrib directory or copied in the lisp directory?

> Also, I would recommend running uncompiled rather than deal with
> versions.

Makes sense.

>   $ make autoloads

Ok - so the sequence :

make clean
make autoloads
make doc
make info

would build all needed files incl documentation?

At the moment I was using

make update

Would compiling have any advantages over un-compiled, besides of speed?

But as org-mode does not do any exorbitant calculations, I would assume
that the only workflows where the speed issue comes in is tangling and
publishing and org-lint?

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-05 12:46           ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-05 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My only question is the contrib directory. I assume I simply also have to
copy the files in the same version specific lisp dir?

For contrib packages (well, only one package that I use from there), I use
the org-plus-contrib package from the Org Elpa

(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)

I have version-specific package-user-dir, so I have org-plus-contrib
installed and compiled for all emacs versions in their own elpa_<version>
directories.

;; Create the package install directory if it doesn't exist
(setq package-user-dir (concat user-emacs-directory "elpa_"
                               emacs-version-short "/")) ; default =
~/.emacs.d/elpa/

I prefer to have both the dev version and stable version of org installed.
So that if needed, I can switch between the two by toggling a variable and
restarting emacs. As the package that I use from contrib does not need to
be cutting-edge, I just use it from the already installed stable
org-plus-contrib :)

I use something like this for org version switching (if you are interested):

(when (bound-and-true-p org-load-version-dev)
    ;; if `org-load-version-dev' is non-nil
    (add-to-list 'load-path (concat user-emacs-directory
                                    "elisp/org-mode/lisp_"
                                    emacs-version-short "/")))

If I don't have the org-load-version-dev set to any value or if I have set
it to nil in my emacs config, the org-plus-contrib (stable version)
installed by the package manager will be used by default.

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-10-05 12:55             ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-05 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Add something like this to local.mk (if non-existent, create one)

Thanks Suvayu, that was good to know. I wasn't aware of that.

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-10-05 13:13               ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-10-05 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 01:34:15PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 09:54:24AM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks - makes perfect sense. My only question is the contrib
> >> directory. I assume I simply also have to copy the files in the same
> >> version specific lisp dir?
> >
> > Add something like this to local.mk (if non-existent, create one)
> >
> >   ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-notmuch ox-groff ox-koma-letter
>
> Thanks - haven't looked at that file yet. So than the specified files
> would be compiled and put in the contrib directory or copied in the lisp directory?

Yes, see the documentation on worg for details.

http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-2

> Ok - so the sequence :
>
> make clean

When running uncompiled, this might not be needed; not sure.

> make autoloads
> make doc
> make info

If you do `make doc', the above is redundant.  See the build system page
I linked above.

> would build all needed files incl documentation?

Yes.  AFAIU, building pdf docs, or info pages have no connection with
compiling Org.

> Would compiling have any advantages over un-compiled, besides of speed?

Not that I know of.  In fact, it would be easier to debug in case you
hit bugs.  Given that you follow master, that's probably not uncommon.

> But as org-mode does not do any exorbitant calculations, I would assume
> that the only workflows where the speed issue comes in is tangling and
> publishing and org-lint?

I don't know.  Nicolas, and maybe Rasmus are better equipped to answer
these questions.  You might want to ask on the Org list.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-05 13:16             ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-10-05 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 08:46:33AM -0400, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> > My only question is the contrib directory. I assume I simply also have to
> copy the files in the same version specific lisp dir?
>
> For contrib packages (well, only one package that I use from there), I use
> the org-plus-contrib package from the Org Elpa

I don't think it's a good idea to mix the git version of Org with elpa.
It needlessly complicates the setup, and you are more likely fall foul
to the infamous mixed install issue.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install

--
Suvayu

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-05 13:45                 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-10-05 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 01:34:15PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Add something like this to local.mk (if non-existent, create one)
>> >
>> >   ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-notmuch ox-groff ox-koma-letter
>>
>> Thanks - haven't looked at that file yet. So than the specified files
>> would be compiled and put in the contrib directory or copied in the lisp directory?
>
> Yes, see the documentation on worg for details.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-2
>
>> Ok - so the sequence :
>>
>> make clean
>
> When running uncompiled, this might not be needed; not sure.
>
>> make autoloads
>> make doc
>> make info
>
> If you do `make doc', the above is redundant.  See the build system page
> I linked above.
>
>> would build all needed files incl documentation?
>
> Yes.  AFAIU, building pdf docs, or info pages have no connection with
> compiling Org.
>
>> Would compiling have any advantages over un-compiled, besides of speed?
>
> Not that I know of.  In fact, it would be easier to debug in case you
> hit bugs.  Given that you follow master, that's probably not uncommon.
>
>> But as org-mode does not do any exorbitant calculations, I would assume
>> that the only workflows where the speed issue comes in is tangling and
>> publishing and org-lint?
>
> I don't know.  Nicolas, and maybe Rasmus are better equipped to answer
> these questions.  You might want to ask on the Org list.

OK - thanks a lot for all your valuable info - I will use org uncompiled
then and see how it goes,

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-05 13:56               ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-05 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't think it's a good idea to mix the git version of Org with elpa. It
needlessly complicates the setup, and you are more likely fall foul to the
infamous mixed install issue.

Yes, I am aware of the risk factor.

I add the dev version org-mode lisp/ dir to the very top in the `load-path`
array. So as long as a package is found in the dev version lisp/ dir, emacs
will not try to hunt for those in the package manager installed
org-plus-contrib dir. So only the contrib/ area packages end up being
picked from the org-plus-contrib.

I am using this mixed installation for few months now without any problem.
That said, now that I know of local.mk, I know what to do if this setup
starts giving me trouble!

--
Kaushal Modi

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 08:46:33AM -0400, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> > > My only question is the contrib directory. I assume I simply also have
> > copy the files in the same version specific lisp dir?
> >
> > For contrib packages (well, only one package that I use from there), I
> use
> > the org-plus-contrib package from the Org Elpa
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to mix the git version of Org with elpa.
> It needlessly complicates the setup, and you are more likely fall foul
> to the infamous mixed install issue.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install
>
> --
> Suvayu

* Solved: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
@ 2015-10-05 15:21             ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-10-05 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)