all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Enhancing (?) `emacs-version'
@ 2016-02-10 19:01 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-02-10 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

would it be hard and/or reasonable to make `emacs-version' display the
sha of the git commit used to build this version for development
versions of Emacs?  I guess it would make sense for bug reporting.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Enhancing (?) `emacs-version'
@ 2016-02-10 19:18 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2016-02-10 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> would it be hard and/or reasonable to make `emacs-version' display the
> sha of the git commit used to build this version for development
> versions of Emacs?  I guess it would make sense for bug reporting.

report-emacs-bug already mentions the sha of the revision that was
checked out at build time.

* Re: Enhancing (?) `emacs-version'
@ 2016-02-10 19:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-10 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:01:57 +0100
>
> would it be hard and/or reasonable to make `emacs-version' display the
> sha of the git commit used to build this version for development
> versions of Emacs?  I guess it would make sense for bug reporting.

We already have the variable emacs-repository-version, and
report-emacs-bug already includes it in the report.

If that's not good enough, please tell the details of the use case you
had in mind.

Thanks.

* Re: Enhancing (?) `emacs-version'
@ 2016-02-10 20:27   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-02-10 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2016-02-10, at 20:24, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
>> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:01:57 +0100
>>
>> would it be hard and/or reasonable to make `emacs-version' display the
>> sha of the git commit used to build this version for development
>> versions of Emacs?  I guess it would make sense for bug reporting.
>
> We already have the variable emacs-repository-version, and
> report-emacs-bug already includes it in the report.

Thanks, I had no idea that this exists!  What does it state for
non-development versions (official, prebuilt pretests or binaries, for
instance)?

> If that's not good enough, please tell the details of the use case you
> had in mind.

I guess it is (almost) good enough.  I will probably advise
emacs-version to include that info, though.  Would it be helpful for the
devs if I do?  Not all bug-related messages are created with
report-emacs-bug.  Use case: a message to the bug-gnu-emacs list,
stating that this-and-this bug can be reproduced on that-and-that Emacs
version.  It might be helpful for me if emacs-version included that info
automatically.

> Thanks.

Thanks, and best regards,

--

@ 2016-02-10 20:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:27:38 +0100
>
> > We already have the variable emacs-repository-version, and
> > report-emacs-bug already includes it in the report.
>
> Thanks, I had no idea that this exists!  What does it state for
> non-development versions (official, prebuilt pretests or binaries, for
> instance)?

The value is nil then.

> I guess it is (almost) good enough.  I will probably advise
> emacs-version to include that info, though.  Would it be helpful for the
> devs if I do?  Not all bug-related messages are created with
> report-emacs-bug.  Use case: a message to the bug-gnu-emacs list,
> stating that this-and-this bug can be reproduced on that-and-that Emacs
> version.  It might be helpful for me if emacs-version included that info
> automatically.

IME, if the version is reported, it's reported by report-emacs-bug.
But maybe I misremember.

* Re: Enhancing (?) `emacs-version'
@ 2016-02-10 20:53       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-02-10 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2016-02-10, at 21:33, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:27:38 +0100
>>
>> > We already have the variable emacs-repository-version, and
>> > report-emacs-bug already includes it in the report.
>>
>> Thanks, I had no idea that this exists!  What does it state for
>> non-development versions (official, prebuilt pretests or binaries, for
>> instance)?
>
> The value is nil then.

I guess that it makes sense to include a check for non-nil-ness in
emacs-version, and if it passes, include at least the first 6-8
characters of the commit sha.

Best,

--

@ 2016-02-10 22:30         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-02-10 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel@gnu.org

I use this function to get the emacs dev version.

(defun emacs-version-dev (here)
  "Display emacs build info and also save it to the kill-ring.
If HERE is non-nil, also insert the string at point."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((emacs-build-info
         (concat "Emacs version: " (emacs-version) ","
                 " built using commit " emacs-repository-version ".\n\n"
                 "./configure options:\n  " system-configuration-options "\n\n"
                 "Features:\n  " system-configuration-features "\n")))
    (kill-new emacs-build-info)
    (message emacs-build-info)
    (when here
      (insert emacs-build-info))
    emacs-build-info))

AFAIK there is no definitive way to get the branch name because
branches are ephemeral. But the below hack works for me.

(defvar emacs-git-branch
  (when (and emacs-repository-version
             (file-exists-p source-directory))
    (let ((shell-return
           (replace-regexp-in-string
            "[\n)]" " " ; Replace newline and ) chars with spaces
            (shell-command-to-string
             (concat "cd " source-directory " && "
                     "git branch --contains "
                     emacs-repository-version)))))
      ;; Below regexp is tested for following "git branch --contains" values
      ;; Output for a commit in master branch too
      ;;   "* (HEAD detached at origin/emacs-25)
      ;;     master
      ;;   "
      ;; Output for a commit only in emacs-25 branch
      ;;   "* (HEAD detached at origin/emacs-25)
      ;;   "
      ;; (message "%S" shell-return)
      (string-match ".*[/ ]\\([^ ]+?\\)\\s-*$" shell-return)
      (match-string-no-properties 1 shell-return)))
  "Name of git branch from which the current emacs is built.")

https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-files/setup-misc.el

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Enhancing (?) `emacs-version'
@ 2016-02-10 22:37           ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2016-02-10 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> AFAIK there is no definitive way to get the branch name because
> branches are ephemeral. But the below hack works for me.

I use this:

(defun get-git-branch-en-directorio (dir)
  (with-temp-buffer
    (cd dir)
    (vc-file-clearprops ".")
    (let ((branch-name (vc-git--symbolic-ref ".")))
      (when (string= branch-name "")
	(error "get-git-branch-en-directorio: no hay git info en %s" dir))
      branch-name)))