Hi Eli, Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Matthew Leach >> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 11:49:12 +0100 >> >> emacs -Q >> open a file, emacs/src/process.c, say. >> C-x C-= >> and keep pressing >> C-= >> >> Emacs will grind to a halt a little but will eventually segfault when >> the zoom is extreme enough. >> >> Attached is the backtrace. It looks as though X has thrown an error, >> maybe we need to limit the amount of zoom that Emacs allows? > > Probably. However, the interesting question is: what values to use as > limits? Maybe limit the zoom before X would crash? Presumably X has an upper bound on how large it can render things since it can yield a BadLength error. However, I've never studied X before. > Also, this backtrace is not useful, since the X errors are by default > asynchronous. Could you please run Emacs in synchronous X mode (see > etc/DEBUG for how), and present the backtrace then? Sure, please see attached. > Also, please tell: > > . what is the maximum value of the scale factor you see on the mode > line before Emacs crashes I can get to about +34 before it crashes. > . what is the value returned by display-pixel-width (display-pixel-width) => 1366 > . what is the values returned by frame-char-width and > frame-char-height (frame-char-width) => 9 (frame-char-height) => 18 Hope this helps. -- Matt