In the last weeks a new issue crept up in the display engine. Some visual garbage is drawn at the horizontal lower/upper edge when using hl-line-mode, on the region, or anything that redraws the current visual line to fill the background. See the attached screenshot, captured with emacs -Q on the current master, with the lucid toolkit. Evaluate the test file, then move the pointer down one line at a time, until garbage is visible. Changing the font weight seems necessary to trigger this issue, as well some hidden properties in the line. I wasn't able to reproduce it easily otherwise. This seems to have been introduced around commit d546be31a9320d94769cb322f008f49d08d852a8 ("Fix display of mouse-highlight produced by overlapping overlays") or earlier. If the exact commit would be helpful, I can try to pinpoint it. Configured using: 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O3 -march=native -pipe ' LDFLAGS=-fwhole-program' Configured features: XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 MODULES LIBSYSTEMD Important settings: value of $LC_COLLATE: C value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.UTF-8 value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8 locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix