all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to split (IMAP client side split) incoming mails into groups for multiple emails addresses with Gnus
@ 2018-01-07  8:07 gnuforever
From: gnuforever @ 2018-01-07  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Happy GNU year 2018.

I have different email addresses. For each address, I want to split incoming mails into groups.
So far I have managed to split incoming mails for one address with the code below:

;; IMAP
(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "firstEmail@domain.com"
	       (nnimap-address "imapserver")
	       (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
	       (nnimap-split-methods default)
	       (nnimap-expunge t)
	       (nnimap-stream ssl)
               (nnimap-user "firstEmail@domain.com")))

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("INBOX.folder1" "from:.*friends@domain.com")
	("INBOX.folder2" "from:.*family@domain.com")
	("INBOX"  "")))

;; Tree view for groups
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)
;; Manage groups
(eval-after-load 'gnus-topic
  '(progn
     (setq gnus-topic-topology '(("Gnus" visible)
				 (("firstEmail@domain.com" visible nil nil))))

     (setq gnus-topic-alist '(("firstEmail@domain.com"
			       "INBOX"
			       "INBOX.folder1"
			       "INBOX.folder2"
			       "Sent"
			       "Drafts"
			       "Junk"
			       "Trash"
			       "Sent Messages")
			      ("Gnus")))))

My question is, how do I extend the code above to split incoming mails for my second email address (secondEmail@domain.com)?

I have tried this code below, but it doesn't work.

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "secondEmail@domain.com"
                (nnimap-address "imapserver")
                (nnimap-inbox "nnimap+secondEmail@domain.com:INBOX")
                (nnimap-split-methods default)
                (nnimap-expunge t)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-user "secondEmail@domain.com"))))

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("nnimap+secondEmail@domain.com:INBOX.work" "from:.*colleague@domain.com")
	("nnimap+secondEmail@domain.com:INBOX" "")))

Cheers,

Steve

* Re: How to split (IMAP client side split) incoming mails into groups for multiple emails addresses with Gnus
       [not found] <mailman.6956.1515312486.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-01-07 21:01 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7044.1515449313.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-07 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gnuforever wrote:

> (setq nnmail-split-methods '(("INBOX.folder1"
> "from:.*friends@domain.com") ("INBOX.folder2"
> "from:.*family@domain.com") ("INBOX" "")))

Case 1-2 looks backwards?

Here is how it should look.

For example to filter away ML messages which
you get thru NGs anyway:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(
        ("mail.ml-ooa" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(emacs-w3m@namazu.org\\|\\(help-gnu-emacs\\|emacs-devel\\)@gnu.org\\|gmane-discuss@quimby.gnus.org\\|tex-live@tug.org\\|gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net\\)")
        ;; etc etc
        ("mail.misc"   "")
      ))

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How to split (IMAP client side split) incoming mails into groups for multiple emails addresses with Gnus
@ 2018-01-08 22:08   ` gnuforever
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7044.1515449313.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gnuforever @ 2018-01-08 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How should I do the split for my 2 imap accounts?

I don't understand why "nnmail-split-methods" in
"gnus-secondary-select-methods" doesn't work.

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> gnuforever wrote:
>
>> (setq nnmail-split-methods '(("INBOX.folder1"
>> "from:.*friends@domain.com") ("INBOX.folder2"
>> "from:.*family@domain.com") ("INBOX" "")))
>
> Case 1-2 looks backwards?
>
> Here is how it should look.
>
> For example to filter away ML messages which
> you get thru NGs anyway:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(
>         ("mail.ml-ooa" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(emacs-w3m@namazu.org\\|\\(help-gnu-emacs\\|emacs-devel\\)@gnu.org\\|gmane-discuss@quimby.gnus.org\\|tex-live@tug.org\\|gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net\\)")
>         ;; etc etc
>         ("mail.misc"   "")
>       ))

Thanks for this example.

@ 2018-01-08 23:20     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7178.1515625372.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-08 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gnuforever wrote:

> How should I do the split for my 2
> imap accounts?

Are you currently getting them into the same
group - from your example, the one
called INBOX?

And you have two additional groups,
INBOX.folder1 and INBOX.folder2, but they don't
get populated?

If so, you must correct the rules for
`nnmail-split-methods' prior to the INBOX case
(which always will be true because "" applies
to everything, which is the only rule that
works in the above scenario).

You have

    "from:.*friends@domain.com"

But examine the article (mail/post) which has
gone into INBOX but you expected/wanted it to
go to INBOX.folder1. Look at the From header of
that mail in particular. Does it really match
your rule for INBOX.folder1?

Also, hit `B q' in article mode to test where
it will go. If it says INBOX and not
INBOX.folder1, it means your expression doesn't
match and the only one that does is the
universal "", which puts it in INBOX.

PS. Also consider finding more descriptive
    names than folder1 and folder2.

--

@ 2018-01-09  8:42 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2018-01-09  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gnuforever writes:

> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nnimap "firstEmail@domain.com"

In my case it did not work correctly until I declare the main method as
nnnil and my two IMAP servers as secondary.

Things like messages from one server appearing in the other after
splitting happened to me when using several accounts while one of them
was primary.

--
Alberto

* Re: How to split (IMAP client side split) incoming mails into groups for multiple emails addresses with Gnus
@ 2018-01-10 23:02       ` gnuforever
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7197.1515674209.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7178.1515625372.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gnuforever @ 2018-01-10 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Are you currently getting them into the same
> group - from your example, the one
> called INBOX?

No. Each imap account has his own INBOX.
(nnimap-inbox "INBOX") ;; The one you mentioned is for the first email
(nnimap-inbox "nnimap+secondEmail@domain.com:INBOX") ;; This is the INBOX for the second email

> Also, hit `B q' in article mode to test where
> it will go

Thanks. It's pretty helpful

> PS. Also consider finding more descriptive
>     names than folder1 and folder2.

Good point

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> In my case it did not work correctly until I declare the main method as
> nnnil and my two IMAP servers as secondary.

Are you using the empty backend as described in the gnus documentation?

I changed my first select methods to nnnil like below:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

		(nnimap-inbox "nnimap+firstEmail@domain.com:INBOX")
		(nnimap-split-methods default)
		(nnimap-expunge t)
		(nnimap-stream ssl)
		(nnimap-user "firstEmail@domain.com"))))

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("nnimap+firstEmail@domain.com:INBOX.gpg-users" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*gnupg-users@gnupg.org")
	("nnimap+firstEmail@domain.com:INBOX.help-gnu-emacs" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
	("nnimap+firstEmail@domain.com:INBOX" "")))

I would expect from the code above to do this:
- A email to gnupg-users@gnupg.org would go to "gpg-users" group
- A email to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org would go to "help-gnu-emacs" group
- The rest will go in the "INBOX" group

I did test the code for one imap account. The split doesn't even happen.
All emails go to "INBOX" group. The expressions for split are correct.

Is the code correct?

@ 2018-01-10 23:42         ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7391.1515963940.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-10 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gnuforever wrote:

>> Are you currently getting them into the same
>> group - from your example, the one
>> called INBOX?
>
> No. Each imap account has his own INBOX.
> (nnimap-inbox "INBOX") ;; The one you
> mentioned is for the first email
> (nnimap-inbox
> "nnimap+secondEmail@domain.com:INBOX") ;;
> This is the INBOX for the second email

Yes I understand this is your intention but if
that doesn't happen, what happens? What do the
different mails report when you hit `B q' in
Gnus article mode?

Or don't you get any mails at all? If so, this
isn't a mail splitting issue, right?

--

@ 2018-01-11 12:36         ` Alberto Luaces
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7197.1515674209.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2018-01-11 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gnuforever writes:

> I changed my first select methods to nnnil like below:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "firstEmail@domain.com"
> 		(nnimap-address "imapserver")
> 		(nnimap-inbox "nnimap+firstEmail@domain.com:INBOX")
> 		(nnimap-split-methods default)
> 		(nnimap-expunge t)
> 		(nnimap-stream ssl)
> 		(nnimap-user "firstEmail@domain.com"))))
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(("nnimap+firstEmail@domain.com:INBOX.gpg-users" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*gnupg-users@gnupg.org")
> 	("nnimap+firstEmail@domain.com:INBOX.help-gnu-emacs" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
> 	("nnimap+firstEmail@domain.com:INBOX" "")))

Yes, I use something like that, execpt for two aspects:

1. I have two servers in gnus-secondary-select-methods, while you seem
to have only one.

2. I use "fancy splitting", and I don't write the full box name.  For
example, I would just write "INBOX.gpg-users" without the server prefix.

--
Alberto

@ 2018-01-11 18:32           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-11 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alberto Luaces wrote:

> I use "fancy splitting" ...

OK, perhaps this explains some (?) of
the confusion.

Try gmane.emacs.gnus.general (or
gmane.emacs.gnus.user) if you still cannot
solve it.

--

@ 2018-01-14 21:05           ` gnuforever
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7391.1515963940.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gnuforever @ 2018-01-14 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alberto and Emanuel,

Thank you for your help.

The problem is solved. It happened because I had 2 "nnmail-split-methods"
By doing:
1. 'B q' , I noticed the emails would go to inbox. So not splitted.
2. 'C-h v nnmail-split-methods RET', I noticed only one was used

I was doing it wrong.

So I changed and put
- all emails in on inbox
- all split rules in one "nnmail-split-methods"

The split is now working.

-------------

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Yes, I use something like that, execpt for two aspects:
>
> 1. I have two servers in gnus-secondary-select-methods, while you seem
> to have only one.

I always start by one account. If it works, I add the second one.

> 2. I use "fancy splitting", and

I don't know how fancy splitting works. I will have a look in the documentation

>I don't write the full box name.  For
> example, I would just write "INBOX.gpg-users" without the server prefix.

I removed the server prefix.

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Yes I understand this is your intention but if
> that doesn't happen, what happens? What do the
> different mails report when you hit `B q' in
> Gnus article mode?

It reports "This message would to the INBOX"

> Or don't you get any mails at all? If so, this
> isn't a mail splitting issue, right?

I got the emails but they went in inbox

@ 2018-01-15  0:18             ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]               ` <mailman.7409.1515994562.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-15  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gnuforever wrote:

> By doing: 1. 'B q' , I noticed the emails
> would go to inbox. So not splitted.

I was just about to say "I told you so" but
then I stuck me that that is the hole purpose
of a Q&A help list :)

Anyway glad it worked.

--

@ 2018-01-15  5:35               ` gnuforever
       [not found]               ` <mailman.7409.1515994562.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gnuforever @ 2018-01-15  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> I was just about to say "I told you so" but
> then I stuck me that that is the hole purpose
> of a Q&A help list :)
>
> Anyway glad it worked.

Indeed :-) It was a helpful command.

I am posting my config. If someone wants to use it or has a better way
to do the split, feel free.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "myfirstEmail@somedomain.com"
		(nnimap-address "imapserver1")
		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
		(nnimap-split-methods default)
		(nnimap-expunge t)
		(nnimap-stream ssl)
		(nnimap-user "myfirstEmail@somedomain.com"))
	(nnimap "mysecondEmail@otherdomain.com"
		(nnimap-address "imapserver2")
		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
		(nnimap-split-methods default)
		(nnimap-expunge t)
		(nnimap-stream ssl)
		(nnimap-user "mysecondEmail@otherdomain.com"))))

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      ;; myfirstEmail@somedomain.com
      '(("INBOX.FeistyDuckTLS" "From:.*newsletter@feistyduck.com")
	("INBOX.guix-devel" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*guix-devel@gnu.org")
	("INBOX.gpg-users" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*gnupg-users@gnupg.org")
	("INBOX.help-gnu-emacs" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
	("INBOX.gnuk-users" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*gnuk-users@lists.alioth.debian.org")
	;; mysecondEmail@otherdomain.com
	("INBOX.PRIVATE" "Subject:.*private")
	("INBOX.WORK" "Subject:.*work")
	("INBOX" "")))

@ 2018-01-15  7:38                 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.7478.1516131886.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-15  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gnuforever wrote:

> I am posting my config. If someone wants to
> use it or has a better way to do the split,
> feel free.

Those regexps have lives of their own. One has
to have the file ready for modification.
Keep it up, and they will be correct...

You are aware of Gmane, I take it?

--

@ 2018-01-16 19:44                   ` gnuforever
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.7478.1516131886.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gnuforever @ 2018-01-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Those regexps have lives of their own. One has
> to have the file ready for modification.
> Keep it up, and they will be correct...
Sorry, I didn't understand this

> You are aware of Gmane, I take it?
I wasn't aware of it. I will a have a look. It seems quiet interesting.

@ 2018-01-17  2:13                     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-17  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gnuforever wrote:

> I wasn't aware of it. I will a have a look.
> It seems quiet interesting.

Gmane does splitting for you! And more...

I have the following Gmane groups. They all
correspond to mailing lists but the interface
and organization is Usenet-like. There are many
advantages, the biggest compared to splitting
(except that it's automated and you don't have
to register at some web page etc) I'd say is
you don't by default get *all* the traffic to
your INBOXes and manually created groups. It is
less heavy handed, basically "just" an
awesome interface :)

6    gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user             4    18243
6    gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel   3640    40131
6    gmane.comp.tex.live                  410    40891
3    gmane.discuss                          1    17367
6    gmane.emacs.bugs                    1692   142198
6    gmane.emacs.devel                    820   221176
3    gmane.emacs.erc.general                      1454
3  1 gmane.emacs.gnus.general                    84087
3    gmane.emacs.gnus.user                       18782
6    gmane.emacs.help                     222   115742
6    gmane.emacs.w3m                      229     9637
6    gmane.linux.debian.user              727   534125
6    gmane.lisp.slime.devel                 8    11783
3    gmane.test                                   8307

However mail splitting can still be useful, as
can "real Usenet", and with Gnus, you can have
mail, Usenet, and Gmane in the same Gnus Group
buffer, all conforming to the same interface.

3  2 rec.bicycles.tech                     13     5998   nntp.aioe.org
6    rec.boats                           3457    12998   nntp.aioe.org
6    rec.gardens.edible                    10      407   nntp.aioe.org
3    rec.sport.boxing                               58   nntp.aioe.org
6  1 rec.woodworking                      196     3311   nntp.aioe.org

It is really as small miracle or at least
a very big programming achievement :)

--

@ 2018-01-17  9:45                       ` gnuforever
From: gnuforever @ 2018-01-17  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Gmane does splitting for you! And more...
Great! I will definitely use it.

> It is really as small miracle or at least
> a very big programming achievement :)
Sure. I already ready the history of Gname. The issues Lars had in the past.
I hope they don't happen again and Gname stays for ever.

Thank you for this info