Elias MÃ¥rtenson writes: > On Sat, 5 Jan 2019, 05:27 Richard Stallman > >> I did not realize that that was possible -- to install programs >> that are not in the cr...app store. >> >> What software is needed to install ish? >> > > My understanding is that there are two ways: the first is to become a > registered developer. If you are, you can of course compile anything you > want. There is a fee associated with being a developer, and I don't know > what information you need to provide to Apple to do so. That's true. Although you'll need to pay that fee every year, otherwise apps stop working. > The other way is to be added as a tester with a developer. I was told there > is a limit to the number of testers, and I think its 1000 users. Apparently > the list of registered testers for the ish project is filled up. > > As I'm writing this, I note that there may also be a third way, which is to > use corporate deployments. Some companies have Ipads that are used in kiosk > mode to handle reservations at a restaurant for example. These applications > are obviously not available on the store, and I seem to recall someone > saying that they are not vetted by Apple in the same way normal > applications are. However, I know very little about this and someone who is > an Ipad developer could probably provide more detail. Same here, you'll need to pay the fee every year and refresh the apps with new signatures every year. There is also a forth way. You can build the app yourself and load it on your own device. But for this you'll need an Apple computer and use Xcode. -- Toon