all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#34815: 26.1; read-shell-command globally sets comint-input-autoexpand to 'history
@ 2019-03-11 18:08 jackkamm
From: jackkamm @ 2019-03-11 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 34815

Calling "shell-command", "async-shell-command", or any other command
calling "read-shell-command", globally sets the variable
"comint-input-autoexpand" to 'history. "comint-input-autoexpand" is
supposed to be a buffer-local variable with a default value of nil, and
setting it globally can interfere with other shells that use the "!"
symbol, e.g. the IPython shell.

To reproduce, first "emacs -Q", then check that
"comint-input-autoexpand" has value nil. Then type:
"M-!", "echo foo", "RET".
Then check that comint-input-autoexpand has been set to 'history.

jabranham on the freenode #emacs channel helped me track down and
consistently reproduce this bug.

--Jack

* bug#34815: 26.1; read-shell-command globally sets comint-input-autoexpand to 'history
@ 2019-03-11 18:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-03-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jackkamm; +Cc: 34815

> From: jackkamm@gmail.com
> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:08:42 -0700
>
> Calling "shell-command", "async-shell-command", or any other command
> calling "read-shell-command", globally sets the variable
> "comint-input-autoexpand" to 'history. "comint-input-autoexpand" is
> supposed to be a buffer-local variable with a default value of nil, and
> setting it globally can interfere with other shells that use the "!"
> symbol, e.g. the IPython shell.

Does it help to replace setq with setq-local in shell-completion-vars
where it sets the value of comint-input-autoexpand?

* bug#34815: 26.1; read-shell-command globally sets comint-input-autoexpand to 'history
@ 2019-03-11 20:52   ` Jack Kamm
From: Jack Kamm @ 2019-03-11 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 34815

Yes, replacing setq with setq-local seems to fix the issue.

@ 2019-03-15  9:16     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-03-15  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Kamm; +Cc: 34815-done

> From: Jack Kamm <jackkamm@gmail.com>
> Cc: 34815@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 13:52:15 -0700
>
> Yes, replacing setq with setq-local seems to fix the issue.

Thanks, I installed such a change on the emacs-26 branch.