all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs + tiling window manager: window sizing issues
@ 2019-04-06 14:09 Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2019-04-06 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

If you use a window manager that ignores window-size hints (such as many
tiling window managers) emacs fails to update to the correct geometry in
some situations.

I'm hesitant to blindly file a bug for this, because I've been rejected
several similar reports in the past (notably, from higher-level tookit
guys), but my position is that window-size hints are _supposed_ to be
_hints_. What's emacs position about it?

With the lucid toolkit, this mostly happens when a frame is first
created. A resize event generally fixes everything.

With lucid+cairo it's more frequent: some resize events will also do the
same.

With gtk you're lucky if that works at all, thanks to the oddball dance
gtk likes to perform with the uncooperating window-manager which is not
exclusive to emacs. But I don't really care about gtk anyway.

But getting lucid and lucid+cairo to cooperate would be nice.

For us folks that think that toolbars and window borders are a waste of
space :/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-04-06 14:09 UTC | newest]