This patch implements 'isearch-yank-until-char', a new yank command in isearch. While in an isearch, one types C-M-c to yank into the search string everything from point up to (but not including) the next instance of a specified character. It prompts for the character. For example, assume point is on the "m" after the "#" mark below: [example from a recent macro I wrote](#markdown-link-syntax) Start an isearch with C-s, then do C-M-c followed by ")". The search string is now "markdown-link-syntax". I have found this functionality very helpful in macros. If it's a useful contribution to Emacs, then I'll install it. I'll wait at least three days to get feedback, both about the feature itself and about the choice of M-C-c as the keybinding. If there's no response or no consensus, then I won't install it, as being conservative about isearch seems appropriate. Best regards, -Karl