Daniel Colascione writes: >> Are there bug#NNN where these are discussed? > > No. The motiviation is Tramp inflooping after a quit because it uses > with-local-quit inside tramp-accept-process-output, which causes > tramp-wait-for-regexp to retry infinitely and quickly. > > I found *that* behavior trying to figure out why M-x compile over > Tramp was hanging not only Emacs, but also the SSH connection more > generally. I *think* it has something to do with compilation-filter > calling file-truename, which invokes Tramp's handler, which wants to > talk over the same SSH connection that's spewing compilation messages, > deadlocking something somewhere. Please write a bug report, it should be solved in Tramp. with-local-quit is used in tramp-accept-process-output by intention. There were reports that Tramp hung, and couldn't be quit ... Would the appended patch help (completely untested)? Best regards, Michael.