What I also would like to add to the docstring of this function, and of that of `sort', is that the PREDICATE must be transitive and antisymmetric - mentioning only in the manual is not enough IMHO. > > BTW, what about the suggestion to support collation order out of the > > box? > > What collation would you like to support, and in what form? I don't know much about this stuff. The canonical way from my ignorant point of view would be that `compare-buffer-substrings' would not only respect `case-fold-search' but also some other variable which would tell how the behavior should be w.r.t. collation. Michael.