all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* magit attempting to use external editor (!) for commit
@ 2020-10-12 16:59 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-12 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

For some reason, starting today, after updating Emacs from git, when I
try to commit a change using magit, it tries to start up emacsclient
(maybe based on my EDITOR environment variable?).  It actually fails
whether I've started the server or not.  First of all, why would magit
want to do this given that I'm in Emacs already?  Has it always done
this?  Secondaly, what is it that I have done (or not done) to end up in
this situation?

I have reverted to using vc-* commands for the time being so I can keep
working but I do like using magit for selective commits.

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4 on Debian bullseye/sid