Gregory Heytings writes: >> the difference is that Emacs is a interactive computing environment >> while GIMP and browsers are programs with extension models. > > I'm not sure I understand the difference, and for most users Emacs is > not an "interactive computing environment", it's a text editor, like > Atom, Visual Studio, or Vim. Just because it appears to be something at first glance, doesn't mean it should behave/limit itself to this misapprehension. >> All in all, I don't have a problem with Emacs being able to support >> it, but as I've shown with the example in my last message, it >> doesn't need to be done automatically, nor does it require a >> separate key. >> > > The problem of what you propose is that, even if it were possible > (AFAIU it isn't, given Emacs' key binding conventions), it would be a > very limited solution: there are only 26 keys reserved for users. > Okay, 52, if you count capital letters. Wait, if a key were designated, you would have the same issue? But even then, you can bind a key to a sub-map, you can rebind exiting keys if a package improves on an existing key and you could suggest more than one key. >> It's ultimately up to the user what he or she wants to do, and >> clever behind-your-back customization seems more harmful and >> confusing than the current state of affairs. > > It's what most users expect. apt install elpa-magit, C-x g, and > voilĂ : Magit works. How do you come to this conclusion? And why does it matter if it is a "wrong" expectation? > BTW, Emacs already does "behind-your-back" customizations, and doesn't > ask you any questions for them. It provides sensible defaults, which > work in most cases, and which you can change if need be. I don't get your point here. Are you saying "default Emacs" is a "behind-your-back customization"? -- Philip K.