all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* creating .rtf files
@ 2007-05-17 10:57 Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-05-17 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

is it possible to save into rich text format? I would like to preserve
colors, etc. Currently the best what I can imagine is to htmlize my
buffer and then run some html2rtf converter. Is there an easier way? I
would need only very basic formatting, so probably the simplest rtf
support would be enough.

\bye

* Re: creating .rtf files
@ 2007-05-17 14:38 ` Amy Templeton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-17 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com>
> is it possible to save into rich text format? I would like to
> preserve colors, etc. Currently the best what I can imagine is to
> htmlize my buffer and then run some html2rtf converter. Is there
> an easier way? I would need only very basic formatting, so
> probably the simplest rtf support would be enough.

I don't know about rich text format (there's probably an emacs
library for this somewhere), but you *can* save in enriched text if
you use enriched-mode.

Amy

--
You will pioneer the first Martian colony.

* Re: creating .rtf files
@ 2007-05-17 16:44 ` Jason Rumney
       [not found] ` <mailman.768.1179412882.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-05-17 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 17 May, 11:57, Peter Tury <tury.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> is it possible to save into rich text format?

See etc/enriched.doc in the Emacs distribution. It saves in MIME text/
enriched format (with some Emacs specific extensions), so if the file
format is important it may not be what you want, but if you only want
to preserve colors it may be enough.

* Re: creating .rtf files
@ 2007-05-17 20:45   ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-05-17 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

thanks for both answers. In fact I looked into enriched possibilities
and it isn't OK for me: I need standard (though perhaps very
basic) .rtf. I also found two ~rtf-modes, but one of them is designed
to edit .rtf "source files" (as markup) and the other is only able to
show .rtf files and not edit them :-(

* Re: creating .rtf files
       [not found] ` <mailman.768.1179412882.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-17 23:36   ` thorne
From: thorne @ 2007-05-17 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't know about rich text format (there's probably an emacs
> library for this somewhere), but you *can* save in enriched text if
> you use enriched-mode.

As a (perhaps) aside, a year or so ago when i looked into it, i was
not able to find any programs to import enriched text.  I modified the
standard little C program that converts to html for my uses, but the
resulting html doesn't preserve text formatting.  `enriched-mode'
would be a lot more useful to me if it could be easily converted for
use with OpenOffice or LaTeX or some such.

I recently spent gobs of time futzing around with trying to get text
written in Emacs to programatically turn itself into properly
formatted fiction manuscripts.  It involved all kinds of hacks with
ps-print and writing a whole preprocessor and so on.  In the end, i
pretty much have come to the realization that Emacs just isn't a
WYSIWYG word processor--it's a text editor.

So having said that, if you really need .rtf, maybe something
not-emacs would work better.  And if you're married to using Emacs
like i am, and if what you're doing is pretty straight-forward, maybe
something like latex2rtf would work....  Or importing plain text into
a word processor after the fact and adding your formatting.

If your needs are _very_ simple (or you are crazy), you can actually
google the rtf 1.0 spec and write a converter in lisp just for your
own specific needs, which is what i did.

--
þ    theron tlåx    þ
(compose-mail (concat "thorne@" (rot13 "gvzoeny") ".net"))

* Re: creating .rtf files
       [not found] ` <mailman.768.1179412882.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-18  3:52   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-05-18  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com>
>> is it possible to save into rich text format? I would like to
>> preserve colors, etc. Currently the best what I can imagine is to
>> htmlize my buffer and then run some html2rtf converter. Is there
>> an easier way? I would need only very basic formatting, so
>> probably the simplest rtf support would be enough.
>
> I don't know about rich text format (there's probably an emacs
> library for this somewhere), but you *can* save in enriched text if
> you use enriched-mode.

I also believe there are various interpretations of rtf, which makes things a
bit confusing.

There are some authoring modes that will produce rtf format. I think muse mode
can do this (as well as thml, xhtml, latex, pdf, postscript, texinfo and some
others. Muse mode is a wiki like mode and supports things like lists, tables,
footnotes etc.

There are also some modes that can transform buffers into various output
formats. I'm not sure, but bhl-mode might do rtf.

tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: creating .rtf files
@ 2007-05-18  3:57     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-05-18  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

thorne <thinly-disguised@spam-sucks.foo> writes:

> Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't know about rich text format (there's probably an emacs
>> library for this somewhere), but you *can* save in enriched text if
>> you use enriched-mode.
>
> As a (perhaps) aside, a year or so ago when i looked into it, i was
> not able to find any programs to import enriched text.  I modified the
> standard little C program that converts to html for my uses, but the
> resulting html doesn't preserve text formatting.  `enriched-mode'
> would be a lot more useful to me if it could be easily converted for
> use with OpenOffice or LaTeX or some such.
>
> I recently spent gobs of time futzing around with trying to get text
> written in Emacs to programatically turn itself into properly
> formatted fiction manuscripts.  It involved all kinds of hacks with
> ps-print and writing a whole preprocessor and so on.  In the end, i
> pretty much have come to the realization that Emacs just isn't a
> WYSIWYG word processor--it's a text editor.
>
> So having said that, if you really need .rtf, maybe something
> not-emacs would work better.  And if you're married to using Emacs
> like i am, and if what you're doing is pretty straight-forward, maybe
> something like latex2rtf would work....  Or importing plain text into
> a word processor after the fact and adding your formatting.
>
> If your needs are _very_ simple (or you are crazy), you can actually
> google the rtf 1.0 spec and write a converter in lisp just for your
> own specific needs, which is what i did.
>
> --
> þ    theron tlåx    þ
> (compose-mail (concat "thorne@" (rot13 "gvzoeny") ".net"))

Although I've not looked at it, I did see a post a while back from someone who
was working on a mode for reading and writing documents in open document
format. Therre is also a pseudo wysiwyg mode for working with latex.

Personally, I use auctex for more formal documents, which I can then transform
into various formats and muse mode for less formal stuff. I find the
combination of auctex and latex extremely powerful. However, a real open
document format mode would be really great as this would facilitate
collaborative work with people using things like open office.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: creating .rtf files
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.768.1179412882.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-01  8:28 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-06-01  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:

> is it possible to save into rich text format? I would like to
> preserve colors, etc. Currently the best what I can imagine is to
> htmlize my buffer and then run some html2rtf converter. Is there an
> easier way? I would need only very basic formatting, so probably the
> simplest rtf support would be enough.

If you are using Microsoft Windows and Word, then it is possible to do
this by using htmlize to create a html file, and then open this file
in Word where you save this to .rtf. I have done such things in the
past. I suspect this can be done with Open Office as well, both on
Windows and GNU/Linux.