all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Comment Syntax Highlighting in 22.1
@ 2007-06-04 22:48 Mike Richards
From: Mike Richards @ 2007-06-04 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I decided to try out 22.1 today and noticed that comments are no
longer highlighted as in the 21.x series (this is at the console, not
xemacs).

For example, consider the following short file called 'test.pl':

#!/bin/perl -w
# this is a comment

In the previous version of emacs, the entire second line would be
highlighted red. But in 22.1 version only the pound sign is red, and
the rest of the line is in the default color (white).

How is it possible to get the entire line to be red again?

* Re: Comment Syntax Highlighting in 22.1
@ 2007-06-04 23:45 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-06-04 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Richards; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mike Richards wrote:
> I decided to try out 22.1 today and noticed that comments are no
> longer highlighted as in the 21.x series (this is at the console, not
> xemacs).
>
> For example, consider the following short file called 'test.pl':
>
> #!/bin/perl -w
> # this is a comment
>
> In the previous version of emacs, the entire second line would be
> highlighted red. But in 22.1 version only the pound sign is red, and
> the rest of the line is in the default color (white).
>
> How is it possible to get the entire line to be red again?

It works for me, starting with

   emacs -Q

* Re: Comment Syntax Highlighting in 22.1
       [not found] <mailman.1566.1180997335.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-05  0:15 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-05  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Mike Richards" wrote:

> (this is at the console, not xemacs).

Emacs is Emacs, whether running in the console or under X (or both).
"xemacs" is a different thing.

> In the previous version of emacs, the entire second line would be
> highlighted red. But in 22.1 version only the pound sign is red, and
> the rest of the line is in the default color (white).
>
> How is it possible to get the entire line to be red again?

M-x customize-face font-lock-comment-face

You may wish to set it to inherit from font-lock-comment-delimiter-face.

* Re: Comment Syntax Highlighting in 22.1
@ 2007-06-05  3:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-05  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:48:52 -0400
> From: "Mike Richards" <mrmikerich@gmail.com>
>
> I decided to try out 22.1 today and noticed that comments are no
> longer highlighted as in the 21.x series (this is at the console, not
> xemacs).
>
> For example, consider the following short file called 'test.pl':
>
> #!/bin/perl -w
> # this is a comment
>
> In the previous version of emacs, the entire second line would be
> highlighted red. But in 22.1 version only the pound sign is red, and
> the rest of the line is in the default color (white).
>
> How is it possible to get the entire line to be red again?

Customize the face font-lock-comment-face to have a non-default
foreground color.  Since Emacs 22 has font-lock turned on by default,
this face has been changed to have the default foreground color on
8-color displays, and a (supposedly less intrusive) new face
font-lock-comment-delimiter-face was introduced to show the beginning
of the comment.  For more details, see the definitions of these two
faces on font-lock.el.

* Re: Comment Syntax Highlighting in 22.1
@ 2007-06-05  3:35   ` Mike Richards
From: Mike Richards @ 2007-06-05  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rgm+news, help-gnu-emacs

On 6/4/07, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:48:52 -0400
> > From: "Mike Richards" <mrmikerich@gmail.com>
> >
> > I decided to try out 22.1 today and noticed that comments are no
> > longer highlighted as in the 21.x series (this is at the console, not
> > xemacs).
> >
> > For example, consider the following short file called 'test.pl':
> >
> > #!/bin/perl -w
> > # this is a comment
> >
> > In the previous version of emacs, the entire second line would be
> > highlighted red. But in 22.1 version only the pound sign is red, and
> > the rest of the line is in the default color (white).
> >
> > How is it possible to get the entire line to be red again?
>
> Customize the face font-lock-comment-face to have a non-default
> foreground color.  Since Emacs 22 has font-lock turned on by default,
> this face has been changed to have the default foreground color on
> 8-color displays, and a (supposedly less intrusive) new face
> font-lock-comment-delimiter-face was introduced to show the beginning
> of the comment.  For more details, see the definitions of these two
> faces on font-lock.el.

Thank you Eli and Glenn. This did the trick.

@ 2007-06-12 13:54 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-06-12 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I decided to try out 22.1 today and noticed that comments are no
> longer highlighted as in the 21.x series (this is at the console, not
> xemacs).

I know it's longish, but it's worth reading the NEWS (C-h N).

* Re: Comment Syntax Highlighting in 22.1
@ 2007-06-12 14:02   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-06-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I decided to try out 22.1 today and noticed that comments are no
>> longer highlighted as in the 21.x series (this is at the console, not
>> xemacs).

Which major mode are you using?  I ask because I've had no problems
with comment highlighting since upgrading, however I'm only using
cc-mode, CPerl mode, LaTeX mode, etc...

Btw, I've noticed this several times since joining the group: Emacs in
X and XEmacs are two different things, as in they are two different
pieces of software; Emacs is released by the GNU Project, and XEmacs
is released by the folks at www.xemacs.org.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson