Stefan Monnier writes: Hi Stefan, >> I don't see any reason why some isearch-like behavior wouldn't be >> possible. Of course, we cannot highlight of the matches, so another >> C-s should jump to the next page with a match instead of the next >> match which could be on the same page. > > We may even be able to reuse the isearch machinery and just set > isearch-search-fun-function. I'm trying to implement that now, but I have some problems with it. I set isearch-search-fun-function buffer-locally to doc-view-isearch-function in doc-view-mode. If I describe this variable in a doc-view buffer, it says it hat the desired value. But when I hit C-s to start isearch and edebug isearch-search-fun it shows up that isearch-search-fun-function is nil then. But why is that? This variable is neither set to nil in isearch.el nor doc-view.el. After I leave isearch with C-g the variable's buffer-local value has disappeared. Here's my patch. It's just a simple start, but doc-view-search-forward seems to work correctly.