all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs mode beginner?
@ 2008-01-14 22:07 timoshiu
From: timoshiu @ 2008-01-14 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I love emacs and use it daily basic...
and the joke "emacs is an operating system, it just need a great
editor" is making me laugh every time I come across.

but where is the definite guide for emacs mode and minor user guide,
tutorial, or documentation?

tim

* Re: emacs mode beginner?
@ 2008-01-14 22:38 ` gamename
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: gamename @ 2008-01-14 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Have a look at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsNewbie

Particularly, have a look at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsNewbieWithIcicles

HTH,
-T
On Jan 14, 2:07 pm, timoshiu <timos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I love emacs and use it daily basic...
> and the joke "emacs is an operating system, it just need a great
> editor" is making me laugh every time I come across.
>
> but where is the definite guide for emacs mode and minor user guide,
> tutorial, or documentation?
>
> tim

* Re: emacs mode beginner?
@ 2008-01-14 22:44 ` Joel J. Adamson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-01-14 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

timoshiu <timoshiu@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I love emacs and use it daily basic...
> and the joke "emacs is an operating system, it just need a great
> editor" is making me laugh every time I come across.
>
> but where is the definite guide for emacs mode and minor user guide,
> tutorial, or documentation?

"\C-h t" (press Control and h simultaneously, then the letter t).

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: emacs mode beginner?
@ 2008-01-15 20:37 ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2008-01-15 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

timoshiu <timoshiu@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I love emacs and use it daily basic...
> and the joke "emacs is an operating system, it just need a great
> editor" is making me laugh every time I come across.

Yeah, hope they can fix that soon... ;-)

> but where is the definite guide for emacs mode and minor user guide,
> tutorial, or documentation?

Well, the documentation coming with Emacs is normally in info files, you
can start the info system with "C-h i", then search for Emacs etc. as
usual. This documentation is preferable as it fits exactly to your
version of your favorite OS.

> tim

Greetings
Malte

* Re: emacs mode beginner?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-15 22:32 ` Joost Diepenmaat
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-01-15 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

timoshiu <timoshiu@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I love emacs and use it daily basic...
> and the joke "emacs is an operating system, it just need a great
> editor" is making me laugh every time I come across.

Well, half of the joke is true. :-)

> but where is the definite guide for emacs mode and minor user guide,
> tutorial, or documentation?

Did you mean Ctrl-h t

I second the emacswiki site and the info pages. Emacswiki is great when
you're just generally curious or looking for third party extensions,
general subjects or just trawling for tips. I skim through it at least a
few times a week, and usually learn something new each time. The info
pages have a pretty good introduction and all the detail you'll probably
ever need. Don't forget to look up the emacs lisp info pages if you're
interested in configuring / customizing stuff.

Joost.

* Re: emacs mode beginner?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-16 10:13 ` Will
From: Will @ 2008-01-16 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

just want to add that the statement "Emacs is a working environment
integrated in a unix-like operating system" would fit better.

By the way, I often hear that Emacs has a steep learning curve which is
also not correct. If you plot time (x-axis) x knowledge/performance
(y-axis) the resulting curve is rather flat at the beginning (at least
in my experience). I think the reason for this misunderstanding is a
confounding  with the idea that learning emacs is like "climbing a steep
mountain".

Sorry, for being a smart-ass but I have often read those other
statements and found it misleading.

Best, Will