all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp from windowxp to linux
@ 2008-01-18 22:13 reader
From: reader @ 2008-01-18 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried posting a similar query a couple of weeks ago but near as I
can tell, it never received a reply.  And since tramp is part of emacs
now it seems it should fit in here unless I need the emacs on windows
list.

It does seem to be windows related but maybe somehere can help.

Attempting /reader@reader:/home/reader  Seems to fail silently after
the first try but on that first try I got this in the tramp debug
buffer:
,--
|    ssh reader -l reader  -e none && exit || exit
| Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
`--

What does this mean?  And why does it only happen once? Further tries
just hang silently.

This is happening with:
GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD

tramp-2.1.11-pre

on a laptop running windows XP home, trying to connect over a home lan
to a linux box running gentoo linux.
ssh either direction works

* Re: tramp from windowxp to linux
@ 2008-01-18 22:43 ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-01-18 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> I tried posting a similar query a couple of weeks ago but near as I

On tramp list (not here)

* Re: tramp from windowxp to linux
@ 2008-01-20 12:11 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-01-20 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reader; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Tramp Development List

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> I tried posting a similar query a couple of weeks ago but near as I
> can tell, it never received a reply.  And since tramp is part of emacs
> now it seems it should fit in here unless I need the emacs on windows
> list.
>
> It does seem to be windows related but maybe somehere can help.
>
> Attempting /reader@reader:/home/reader  Seems to fail silently after
> the first try but on that first try I got this in the tramp debug
> buffer:
> ,--
> |    ssh reader -l reader  -e none && exit || exit
> | Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
> `--

This is explained in the Tramp manual. The cygwin openssh does not
cooperate with Emacs processes.

I recommend to use plink from PuTTY.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp from windowxp to linux
@ 2008-01-20 16:03   ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-01-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: tramp-devel

>> ,--
>> |    ssh reader -l reader  -e none && exit || exit
>> | Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
>> `--
>
> This is explained in the Tramp manual. The cygwin openssh does not
> cooperate with Emacs processes.
>
> I recommend to use plink from PuTTY.

GAck... and it works just like it should... thanks