all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Making "problem report #FOO" mails easier to scan.
@ 2008-12-01 18:48 Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2008-12-01 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Would it be possible to make "problem report" mails have Subject headers
like this:

   Subject: problem report #101: Variable "face" tracked as NULL [...]

?

Or maybe even shorten the prefix, so more of the Description string is
visible:

   Subject: PR #101: Variable "face" tracked as NULL was passed to [...]

?

I assume the entire description string would be included.  Above, I'm
just eliding it the way a mailreader might cut it off along the right
edge -- say, as a Gnus Summary buffer would.

It's time-consuming to have to open the mail to get an idea of what the
problem report is about.  All the specific content is in the body:

   From: Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>
   Subject: problem report #101
   To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
   Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:59:25 -0800 (PST)

   CID: 101
   Checker: FORWARD_NULL (help)
   File: base/src/emacs/src/font.c
   Function: font_at

Also, is there a URL associated with each problem report?  If so, it
would be nice if the report included that URL.  (Right now, one can't
tell from looking at one of the mails what is generating them.)

-Karl

* Re: Making "problem report #FOO" mails easier to scan.
@ 2008-12-01 19:16 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-12-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: emacs-devel

Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:

  > Would it be possible to make "problem report" mails have Subject headers
  > like this:

It would, but it would mean more work for me... This is all done
manually, copy and paste from a few places on a web page...
If someone wants to write a gnus hook to fill in the Subject, I could
use it.   Or if someone else wants to do this, even better.

  > Also, is there a URL associated with each problem report?  If so, it

AFAICT no, the URL is associated with a login name and a session.

  > would be nice if the report included that URL.  (Right now, one can't
  > tell from looking at one of the mails what is generating them.)

Similar reports were discussed/resolved on the list a while ago.  They
come from scan.coverity.com.  Anyone can register and read the reports,
but so far nobody volunteered to do it...

* Re: Making "problem report #FOO" mails easier to scan.
@ 2008-12-01 19:24   ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2008-12-01 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
> Similar reports were discussed/resolved on the list a while ago.  They
> come from scan.coverity.com.  Anyone can register and read the reports,
> but so far nobody volunteered to do it...

Thanks.  I suspected they came from coverity, but there was no sign of
that in the emails themselves.  Maybe just insert a standard footer
explaining it, if you have time to set that up.

@ 2008-12-01 20:33   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-12-01 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Karl Fogel, emacs-devel

On Mon, Dec 01 2008, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> If someone wants to write a gnus hook to fill in the Subject, I
> could use it.

HTH...

(defvar rs-message-coverity-header
  "== Problem report from coverity, see end of message for more information ==")

(defvar rs-message-coverity-footer
  "----------
Footnote: This problem report was created by scan.coverity.com.
Anyone can register and read the reports, ...")

(defun rs-message-coverity ()
  "Insert suitable Subject, header and footer for a Coverity report.

This command should be called from a message buffer which must
contain the content of the report, including the pseudo
header (CID, Function, ...)."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (message-goto-body)
    (when rs-message-coverity-header
      (insert rs-message-coverity-header)
      (insert "\n"))
    (re-search-forward
     "\
CID: \\([0-9]+\\)
Checker: [^\n]*
File: [^\n]*
Function: \\([^\n]*\\)
    (let ( ;;
	  (cid (match-string 1))
	  (fct (match-string 2))
	  (des (match-string 3)))
      (message-replace-header "Subject" (format "PR #%s: %s; %s" cid fct des))
      (message-replace-header "To" "emacs-devel@gnu.org"))
    (when rs-message-coverity-footer
      (message-goto-signature)
      (unless (eobp) (forward-line -1))
      (insert rs-message-coverity-footer)
      (insert "\n"))))

;; (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "<f8>") 'rs-message-coverity)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)