all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Absolutely naïve question about line numbering and lisp code
@ 2009-03-03 13:01 Armando Martins
From: Armando Martins @ 2009-03-03 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello!

I am trying to numer the lines of a text (not the buffer, although
this solution could work around). I google and I find files in lisp
code, say: num.el, setnu.el, line.el...
How can I make it work on a text file I have. Do I download (wherever)
and open it and click "evaluate lisp" and then it will work for all
the session?
I am using Windows Vista.
Thanks for your help

--
Com os melhores cumprimentos,

Armando Martins
Departamento de Linguística e Literaturas
Universidade de Évora, Largo dos Colegiais nº 2
7004-516 ÉVORA

* Re: Absolutely naïve question about line numbering and lisp code
@ 2009-03-03 13:08 ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2009-03-03 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Armando Martins <armandosenra@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I am trying to numer the lines of a text (not the buffer, although
> this solution could work around). I google and I find files in lisp
> code, say: num.el, setnu.el, line.el...
> How can I make it work on a text file I have. Do I download (wherever)
> and open it and click "evaluate lisp" and then it will work for all
> the session?
> I am using Windows Vista.
> Thanks for your help
Hi,

Try linum.el

  -- Andy

* Re: Absolutely naïve question about line numbering and lisp code
       [not found] <mailman.2269.1236085285.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-03 15:16 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-03 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Armando Martins wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to numer the lines of a text (not the buffer, although
> this solution could work around). I google and I find files in lisp
> code, say: num.el, setnu.el, line.el...
> How can I make it work on a text file I have. Do I download (wherever)
> and open it and click "evaluate lisp" and then it will work for all
> the session?
> I am using Windows Vista.
> Thanks for your help

Yes. Just copy that file (say, setnu.el) into say, site-lisp directory
and then M-x load-library setnu. Now M-x setnu-mode should  toggle line
numbers on and off. If you just want to add line numbers permanently you
could run this, of unknown provenance:

(defun insert-line-numbers ()
     "Insert a line number on all lines of the current buffer."
   (interactive)
   (save-excursion
     (save-restriction
       (widen)
       (let ((fmt (format "%%0%dd "
                          (1+ (truncate
                               (log (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))
                                    10)))))
             (i 0))
         (goto-char (point-min))
         (while (< (point) (point-max))
           (setq i (1+ i))
           (insert (format fmt i))
           (forward-line)))))
   );;insert-line-numbers

Of course if you add or delete a line then you would have to delete the
rectangle in the the line number "region" and re-run M-x
insert-line-numbers. Not very flexible.

Ed

* Re: Absolutely naïve question about line numbering and lisp code
@ 2009-03-03 16:25   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-03-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-03-03 09:16 (-0600), B. T. Raven wrote:

> If you just want to add line numbers permanently you could run this,
> of unknown provenance:
>
> (defun insert-line-numbers ()
>     "Insert a line number on all lines of the current buffer."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (save-restriction
>       (widen)
>       (let ((fmt (format "%%0%dd "
>                          (1+ (truncate
>                               (log (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))
>                                    10)))))
>             (i 0))
>         (goto-char (point-min))
>         (while (< (point) (point-max))
>           (setq i (1+ i))
>           (insert (format fmt i))
>           (forward-line)))))
>   );;insert-line-numbers

That is quite clever. Usually something like this is enough:

    M-<
    M-x replace-regexp RET ^ RET \,(format "%4s. " (1+ \#)) RET