all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Q from emacs dummy
@ 2009-04-19 17:51 notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-04-19 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I love emacs as a file manager.  Still learning for editing and other
subtleties.  Ran into real bizarre behavior, recently.  In dired mode and
had a new file buffer open.  I tried to close emacs (C-x C-c) and got the
usual "wanna save file" (no), etc, but still would not close emacs.  Only
when I killed the buffer would it close.  How can I force close emacs,
regardless of open buffers?

nb

* Re: Q from emacs dummy
@ 2009-04-19 17:53 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-04-19 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> I love emacs as a file manager.  Still learning for editing and other
> subtleties.  Ran into real bizarre behavior, recently.  In dired mode and
> had a new file buffer open.  I tried to close emacs (C-x C-c) and got the
> usual "wanna save file" (no), etc, but still would not close emacs.  Only
> when I killed the buffer would it close.  How can I force close emacs,
> regardless of open buffers?

I don't understand.  Why would you quit emacs?

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Q from emacs dummy
@ 2009-04-19 18:41 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-04-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

notbob wrote:
> I love emacs as a file manager.  Still learning for editing and other
> subtleties.  Ran into real bizarre behavior, recently.  In dired mode and
> had a new file buffer open.  I tried to close emacs (C-x C-c) and got the
> usual "wanna save file" (no), etc, but still would not close emacs.  Only
> when I killed the buffer would it close.  How can I force close emacs,
> regardless of open buffers?
>
> nb

M-x kill-emacs

* Re: Q from emacs dummy
@ 2009-04-19 18:42 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2009-04-19 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <slrngump5m.38d.notbob@bb.nothome.com>,
 notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:

> I love emacs as a file manager.  Still learning for editing and other
> subtleties.  Ran into real bizarre behavior, recently.  In dired mode and
> had a new file buffer open.  I tried to close emacs (C-x C-c) and got the
> usual "wanna save file" (no), etc, but still would not close emacs.  Only
> when I killed the buffer would it close.  How can I force close emacs,
> regardless of open buffers?

You should have gotten two questions.  The first question is whether you
want to save the file (say "no"), the second question is whether you
want to exit with unsaved bufferes (say "yes").

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Q from emacs dummy
@ 2009-04-19 18:50   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-04-19 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:
>
>> I love emacs as a file manager.  Still learning for editing and other
>> subtleties.  Ran into real bizarre behavior, recently.  In dired mode and
>> had a new file buffer open.  I tried to close emacs (C-x C-c) and got the
>> usual "wanna save file" (no), etc, but still would not close emacs.  Only
>> when I killed the buffer would it close.  How can I force close emacs,
>> regardless of open buffers?
>
> I don't understand.  Why would you quit emacs?

That's a good question, especially since the o.p. uses Emacs primarily
for file management. But still he should see "Modified buffers exist...
etc" after answering "No" or "No for all" So he isn't allowed to abandon
that changed (or new) buffer. How could that happen?