all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* string to symbol
@ 2009-08-02  8:54 TheFlyingDutchman
       [not found] ` <mailman.3669.1249207765.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: TheFlyingDutchman @ 2009-08-02  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want to call the documentation or describe-function, functions, with
a list of strings that are function names. Those functions take a
symbol as an argument. e.g. (describe-function 'shell).  Given a
string "shell" is it possible to convert that to the symbol shell so
that I can use it as an argument to those functions?

* Re: string to symbol
@ 2009-08-02 10:02 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.3669.1249207765.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-08-02 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,----
`----
--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: string to symbol
       [not found] ` <mailman.3669.1249207765.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-02 23:31   ` TheFlyingDutchman
From: TheFlyingDutchman @ 2009-08-02 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> ,----
> | ELISP> (intern "shell")
> | shell

Thanks Thierry, worked like a charm! Is there a way to determine,
given a string, whether or not an interned symbol already exists with
that name?

* Re: string to symbol
@ 2009-08-03  0:10     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-08-03  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

TheFlyingDutchman <zzbbaadd@aol.com> writes:

>> ,----
>> | ELISP> (intern "shell")
>> | shell
>
> Thanks Thierry, worked like a charm! Is there a way to determine,
> given a string, whether or not an interned symbol already exists with
> that name?

intern-soft

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__