all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hello List!
@ 2010-03-10 18:27 Nicolas Forgerit
From: Nicolas Forgerit @ 2010-03-10 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello list!

I'm currently switching to Emacs from the Textmate Editor on OSX since im
tired of being stuck to a certain platform. I liked Textmate's mailing list
a lot and i always learned incredibly much through it. Hopefully, this also
applies to this list since i'm willing to learn elisp and write some own
scripts to gain the full power of this editor. I'm working in the web
branch, foremostly with PHP, MySQL & TYPO3 and i'm sure i won't regret the
decision. Please help, making it easier for me. :)

Ciao Nico

* RE: Hello List!
@ 2010-03-11  7:00 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-11  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Nicolas Forgerit', help-gnu-emacs

> Hello list!
> I'm currently switching to Emacs from the Textmate Editor
> on OSX since im tired of being stuck to a certain platform.
> I liked Textmate's mailing list a lot and i always learned
> incredibly much through it. Hopefully, this also applies
> to this list since i'm willing to learn elisp and write
> some own scripts to gain the full power of this editor.
> I'm working in the web branch, foremostly with PHP, MySQL
> & TYPO3 and i'm sure i won't regret the decision. Please
> help, making it easier for me. :) Ciao Nico

Welcome. Since you are used to Textmate, here is one place you might start:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TextMate

And this is another good place to start:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbie

More generally, in addition to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which is good for
specific questions (and some discussion), Emacs Wiki is a good resource for
learning Emacs and Emacs Lisp. It's easy to search for info there.
http://www.emacswiki.org/

Also, it's always a good idea to ask Emacs itself for help and ideas. It has a
great help system, including hypertext manuals. The EmacsNewbie link above has
lots of links to info about learning Emacs and asking Emacs for help. This
includes a hands-on tutorial and Web-based guided tours and demos.

Have fun.

* Re: Hello List!
@ 2010-03-11  8:39 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-03-11  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Forgerit; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nicolas Forgerit <nicolas.forgerit@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm currently switching to Emacs from the Textmate Editor on OSX since im tired
> of being stuck to a certain platform. I liked Textmate's mailing list a lot and
> i always learned incredibly much through it. Hopefully, this also applies to
> this list since i'm willing to learn elisp and write some own scripts to gain
> the full power of this editor. I'm working in the web branch, foremostly with
> PHP, MySQL & TYPO3 and i'm sure i won't regret the decision. Please help,
> making it easier for me. :)

Welcome on the list!

I've been around for quite long now, and it's a great place if you want
to learn things about Emacs, Elisp, and life in general.

--
 Bastien

* Hello List!
@ 2010-03-12 16:26 Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-03-12 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm currently switching to Emacs from the Textmate Editor on OSX since im tired
> of being stuck to a certain platform. I liked Textmate's mailing list a lot and
> i always learned incredibly much through it. Hopefully, this also applies to
> this list since i'm willing to learn elisp and write some own scripts to gain
> the full power of this editor. I'm working in the web branch, foremostly with
> PHP, MySQL & TYPO3 and i'm sure i won't regret the decision. Please help,
> making it easier for me. :)

I would suggest to take a good look at org-mode, http://orgmode.org.
This is a major mode included in Emacs.  What does it do?  Well, go to
the website, you will not regret it.

Today 90% of my computer time is spent in org-mode and gnus.

Best,

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: hindiogine@gmail.com