all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Not taking indented text with fill-paragraph
@ 2010-05-12  9:57 Cecil Westerhof
       [not found] ` <861vdhtgqs.fsf@aiuole.stru.polimi.it>
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-05-12  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have often some text like the folowing:

First some text which is a description of the list that follows the
text:
    item 1
    item 2
    item 3
    item 4

Sometimes you change something an you get:

First some initial text which is a description of the list that follows the
text:
    item 1
    item 2
    item 3
    item 4

When using M-q you get:

First some initial text which is a description of the list that follows
the text: item 1 item 2 item 3 item 4

But I would prefer:

First some initial text which is a description of the list that follows
the text:
    item 1
    item 2
    item 3
    item 4

Is there a way to change the behaviour of fill-paragraph?

One solution is to mark the text which is the description, before giving
M-q, but I would prefer a solution where this is not necessary. ;-}

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Not taking indented text with fill-paragraph
@ 2010-05-12 10:21 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <87mxw54c4k.fsf@linux-lqcw.site>
       [not found] ` <861vdhtgqs.fsf@aiuole.stru.polimi.it>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-05-12 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I have often some text like the folowing:
>
> First some text which is a description of the list that follows the
> text:
>     item 1
>     item 2
>     item 3
>     item 4
>
> Sometimes you change something an you get:
>
> First some initial text which is a description of the list that follows the
> text:
>     item 1
>     item 2
>     item 3
>     item 4
>
> When using M-q you get:
>
> First some initial text which is a description of the list that follows
> the text: item 1 item 2 item 3 item 4
>
> But I would prefer:
>
> First some initial text which is a description of the list that follows
> the text:
>     item 1
>     item 2
>     item 3
>     item 4
>
> Is there a way to change the behaviour of fill-paragraph?

Yes.  Keep an empty line inserted between paragraphs and lists.  The
correct way to format such text is (as testified for example by reST):

    First some initial text which is a description of the list that
    follows the text:

        - item 1
        - item 2
        - item 3
        - item 4

> One solution is to mark the text which is the description, before giving
> M-q, but I would prefer a solution where this is not necessary. ;-}

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com

@ 2010-05-12 20:09     ` Andreas Politz
       [not found]       ` <jwv632s3lgf.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-05-12 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> Op woensdag 12 mei 2010 12:21 CEST, Pascal J. Bourguignon schreef:
>
>>> Is there a way to change the behaviour of fill-paragraph?
>>
>> Yes.  Keep an empty line inserted between paragraphs and lists.  The
>> correct way to format such text is (as testified for example by reST):
>
> That is not a change of behaviour from fill paragraph, but a change of
> layout. That works (and sometimes I use it), but the empty line is not
> always acceptable. I then use the empty line, to be removed later (what
> I sometimes forget), or work with a region. In principal better, because
> I see immediately that I messed things up. But when I do not correct ...

I think the problem here is, that it is impossible to tell the paragraph
functions, that a line like

This line ends a paragraph:

does indeed end a paragraph.  There are variables `paragraph-start' and
`paragraph-separate', but not paragraph-end .

-ap

@ 2010-05-13  8:23         ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-05-13  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Op woensdag 12 mei 2010 22:40 CEST, Stefan Monnier schreef:

>> I think the problem here is, that it is impossible to tell the paragraph
>> functions, that a line like
>> This line ends a paragraph:
>> does indeed end a paragraph.  There are variables `paragraph-start' and
>> `paragraph-separate', but not paragraph-end .
>
> Good point.  I've been using a local hack that adds exactly this
> `paragraph-end' variable, which I use for LaTeX (to recognize \\ at the
> end of a line as meaning "end of paragraph" and also originally to
> try and make filling recognize %...\n comments as also indicating
> end-of-paragraph (also for filling purposes, tho not for navigation
> purposes)).

Could you post how you have done this? Would be very useful.

From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-05-13  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Op woensdag 12 mei 2010 15:02 CEST, Giacomo Boffi schreef:

>> When using M-q you get:
>>
>> First some initial text which is a description of the list that follows
>> the text: item 1 item 2 item 3 item 4
>
> Kyle's filladapt,
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FillAdapt

I'll look into that. Thanks.