all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Face for questions in echo area
@ 2010-07-22 19:44 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-07-22 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

Some time ago, on Windows (maybe that's a diff inserted by EmacsW32?), I had
the questions appearing in the echo area in color (orange). That made them
stand up over the rest, and was a good thing on big screens (where we
sometimes don't easily see questions appearing in the bottom).

Though, I don't find how to setup such a thing in my Emacs 23 on Ubuntu 10.04.
Any hint?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Face for questions in echo area
@ 2010-07-22 20:21 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-07-22 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Some time ago, on Windows (maybe that's a diff inserted by EmacsW32?), I had
> the questions appearing in the echo area in color (orange). That made them
> stand up over the rest, and was a good thing on big screens (where we
> sometimes don't easily see questions appearing in the bottom).
>
> Though, I don't find how to setup such a thing in my Emacs 23 on Ubuntu 10.04.
> Any hint?

(read-from-minibuffer "Question? ") C-x C-e C-b C-b C-b M-x customize-face RET
doesn't give a specific face.

(read-from-minibuffer "Question? ") C-x C-e C-b C-b C-b M-: (face-at-point) RET
indicates it's the default face that's used.

Therefore you could advice read-from-minibuffer to temporarily modify
the default face and set it to orange, and reset it when done (use unwind-protect).

* Re: Face for questions in echo area
@ 2010-07-23  2:43 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-07-23  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Some time ago, on Windows (maybe that's a diff inserted by EmacsW32?), I had
> the questions appearing in the echo area in color (orange). That made them
> stand up over the rest, and was a good thing on big screens (where we
> sometimes don't easily see questions appearing in the bottom).
>
> Though, I don't find how to setup such a thing in my Emacs 23 on Ubuntu 10.04.
> Any hint?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

The face you want is minibuffer-prompt

Try M-x customize-face <ret> minibuffer-prompt <ret>

Note that the list-faces-display is a useful command to list all the
currently defined faces. You can see examples of each face and using the
mouse or enter key, show the face definition or pull up a customize
buffer for a specific face.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Face for questions in echo area
@ 2010-08-01 19:43   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-08-01 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Pascal and Tim,

Tim X wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Some time ago, on Windows (maybe that's a diff inserted by EmacsW32?), I
>> had the questions appearing in the echo area in color (orange). That made
>> them stand up over the rest, and was a good thing on big screens (where we
>> sometimes don't easily see questions appearing in the bottom).
>>
>> Though, I don't find how to setup such a thing in my Emacs 23 on Ubuntu
>> 10.04. Any hint?
>
> The face you want is minibuffer-prompt
>
> Try M-x customize-face <ret> minibuffer-prompt <ret>

Thank you very much for your answers. That works perfectly!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban