all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection
@ 2011-06-03 22:55 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-03 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I get this message from time to time in my echo area:

gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

And it seems like this means that the peer hung up.  I think this
message shouldn't be shown in that case.

* Re: Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection
@ 2011-06-05 12:34 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2011-06-05 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen:

> I get this message from time to time in my echo area:
>
> gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.
>
> And it seems like this means that the peer hung up.  I think this
> message shouldn't be shown in that case.

This message comes from GNUTLS and should ideally be changed there.

* Re: Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection
@ 2011-06-05 14:48   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-06-05 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 14:34:21 +0200 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

FW> * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen:
>> I get this message from time to time in my echo area:
>>
>> gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.
>>
>> And it seems like this means that the peer hung up.  I think this
>> message shouldn't be shown in that case.

FW> This message comes from GNUTLS and should ideally be changed there.

It's a bit tricky.  GnuTLS doesn't know the peer hung up, necessarily.
It only deals with the packets it gets, and a timeout or a remote
disconnect both look abrupt to it.  So Emacs should end the GnuTLS
connection handling explicitly, I think.  That would remedy the error
message and let GnuTLS clean up properly.  But I don't see a place in
Emacs to handle the end of a process connection, unfortunately.  Am I
missing something obvious?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> So Emacs should end the GnuTLS connection handling explicitly, I
> think.

Yes, probably.

> That would remedy the error message and let GnuTLS clean up properly.
> But I don't see a place in Emacs to handle the end of a process
> connection, unfortunately.  Am I missing something obvious?

It must be handled somewhere, because there's something that outputs
"connection closed" (or what it was) into the buffer when it happens.

* Re: Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection
@ 2011-06-16  3:54       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-06-16  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:53:25 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> That would remedy the error message and let GnuTLS clean up properly.
>> But I don't see a place in Emacs to handle the end of a process
>> connection, unfortunately.  Am I missing something obvious?

LMI> It must be handled somewhere, because there's something that outputs
LMI> "connection closed" (or what it was) into the buffer when it happens.

There are at *least* 4 places in process.c that handle various kinds of
connection shutdown.  I see no single place to do what you need: call
the GnuTLS shutdown functions when the connection is closed.

Ted

* Re: Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-21 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> There are at *least* 4 places in process.c that handle various kinds of
> connection shutdown.  I see no single place to do what you need: call
> the GnuTLS shutdown functions when the connection is closed.

What about calling the GnuTLS shutdown stuff from those four places?
:-)

* Re: Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection
@ 2011-06-22 15:57           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-06-22 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:33:29 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> There are at *least* 4 places in process.c that handle various kinds of
>> connection shutdown.  I see no single place to do what you need: call
>> the GnuTLS shutdown functions when the connection is closed.

LMI> What about calling the GnuTLS shutdown stuff from those four places?
LMI> :-)

I'm OK with that, but unfortunately can't commit the time to do it
myself.  Sorry.

Ted