all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: seems to be a general bug with line hiding if lines not starting in column 0
       [not found] <24360549.3351.1328405170718.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yquu38>
@ 2012-02-15 21:31 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <mailman.4064.1329341393.15002.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2012-02-15 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

unfrostedpoptart <david@therogoffs.com> writes:

> This is way beyond me to figure out.  I've been working with
> outline-minor-mode and orgstruct (org-mode's minor mode).  Any time a
> headline line has whitespace at the beginning, when it's
> folded/hidden, the display is wrong.  The following headline is on the
> same line.

Looking at the sources, outline seems not to allow headlines with
whitespace at the beginning per default.

I think you could get it work, but you would have to modify some
variables like `outline-regexp' and `outline-heading-alist'.  Maybe it's
not worth the trouble if you are don't want to deal with internals.

> I just notice that the same thing happens in dired. If I include
> listings of several sub-directories and then hide the first one ($ /
> M-x dired-hide-subdir) the next subdir is listed on the same line
> instead of on the next line, which really messes things up.

I think that is a different issue.

I don't see this behavior here, neither with Emacs 23.3, nor with 24.
Does this happen with emacs -Q?  Which operating system do you use?

Michael.

@ 2012-02-15 23:55   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2012-02-15 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Looking at the sources, outline seems not to allow headlines with
> whitespace at the beginning per default.

I wonder why you could hide such lines at all with outline-minor-mode.
I can't do that with the default setup.

> I think you could get it work, but you would have to modify some
> variables like `outline-regexp' and `outline-heading-alist'.  Maybe it's
> not worth the trouble if you are don't want to deal with internals.

Here is an example file with proper local variable settings that works
for me:

* Headline1a
  ** H2a
  *** H3a
  *** H3b
  ** H2b

* H1b

Local variables:
outline-regexp: " *\\(\\*+\\)"
outline-level: (lambda () (- (match-end 1) (match-beginning 1)))
eval: (outline-minor-mode)
End:

Michael.