all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tmux & emacs: window issue
@ 2012-02-20  8:31 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-20  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,
I don't really know if this question should go to an Emacs or an tmux
(== modern gnu screen) newsgroup, so I try it here:

I just discovered, that having one emacs daemon running, I can open as
many emacsclients as I want and can do (being on plain terminal) all the
window management with my terminal multiplexer (tmux). This works fine
and appears more stable than something like winring.el, that caused more
emacs crashes for me than anything else.

However, using gnus and an emacs frame splittet into 3 windows, a new
problem appeared. Before, when visiting a link in an article, w3m just
opened inside the article window - perfect. Now, w3m overrides the
windowsplitting in the gnus frame and takes over the whole screen, so I
avoid following links in the gnus article window.

Did anybody experience similar problems using screen or tmux?

cheers
--
Thorsten

* Re: tmux & emacs: window issue
@ 2012-02-20 15:53 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-02-20 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> However, using gnus and an emacs frame splittet into 3 windows, a new
> problem appeared. Before, when visiting a link in an article, w3m just
> opened inside the article window - perfect. Now, w3m overrides the
> windowsplitting in the gnus frame and takes over the whole screen, so I
> avoid following links in the gnus article window.
>
> Did anybody experience similar problems using screen or tmux?

This doesn't seem to be related to tmux at all, i.e., don't you get the
same behaviour when you run an emacsclient without tmux?

What I usually do when I read mail and news in gnus and w3m takes over
the windows configuration: I do a C-c u, which is bound for me to
winner-undo, keep on reading mail and news and read all links I followed
when I am done. Or, if that links is really important, I read it and
then return with winner-undo.

hth
Memnon

* Re: tmux & emacs: window issue
@ 2012-02-20 16:23   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-20 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Memnon,

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> However, using gnus and an emacs frame splittet into 3 windows, a new
>> problem appeared. Before, when visiting a link in an article, w3m just
>> opened inside the article window - perfect. Now, w3m overrides the
>> windowsplitting in the gnus frame and takes over the whole screen, so I
>> avoid following links in the gnus article window.
>>
>> Did anybody experience similar problems using screen or tmux?
>
> This doesn't seem to be related to tmux at all, i.e., don't you get the
> same behaviour when you run an emacsclient without tmux?

No, when I used only emacs and something like winring.el, the gnus
frame with the 3 windows was preserved and w3m just opened in the
article window where I clicked on the link.

> What I usually do when I read mail and news in gnus and w3m takes over
> the windows configuration: I do a C-c u, which is bound for me to
> winner-undo, keep on reading mail and news and read all links I followed
> when I am done. Or, if that links is really important, I read it and
> then return with winner-undo.

I always thought winner mode was a bit strange with its 3 functions, but
now I see it might make sense.
Thank for the tip, I will try that out.

cheers
--
Thorsten

* Re: tmux & emacs: window issue
@ 2012-02-21  0:18 ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-02-21  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
> I don't really know if this question should go to an Emacs or an tmux
> (== modern gnu screen) newsgroup, so I try it here:
>
> I just discovered, that having one emacs daemon running, I can open as
> many emacsclients as I want and can do (being on plain terminal) all the
> window management with my terminal multiplexer (tmux). This works fine
> and appears more stable than something like winring.el, that caused more
> emacs crashes for me than anything else.
>
> However, using gnus and an emacs frame splittet into 3 windows, a new
> problem appeared. Before, when visiting a link in an article, w3m just
> opened inside the article window - perfect. Now, w3m overrides the
> windowsplitting in the gnus frame and takes over the whole screen, so I
> avoid following links in the gnus article window.
>
> Did anybody experience similar problems using screen or tmux?

I run screen, launch an emacs -daemon at some point, and then I open
multiple emacsclient -t instances inside screen. One of these instances
is just for Gnus, and I don't have the problem you describe. When
entering a group I have two windows, the summary buffer and the article
buffer. Following a link in the article buffer just causes that window
to be replaced with the w3m stuff.

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

* Re: tmux & emacs: window issue
@ 2012-02-21  7:44   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-21  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

Hi Angel,

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi List,
>> I don't really know if this question should go to an Emacs or an tmux
>> (== modern gnu screen) newsgroup, so I try it here:
>>
>> I just discovered, that having one emacs daemon running, I can open as
>> many emacsclients as I want and can do (being on plain terminal) all the
>> window management with my terminal multiplexer (tmux). This works fine
>> and appears more stable than something like winring.el, that caused more
>> emacs crashes for me than anything else.
>>
>> However, using gnus and an emacs frame splittet into 3 windows, a new
>> problem appeared. Before, when visiting a link in an article, w3m just
>> opened inside the article window - perfect. Now, w3m overrides the
>> windowsplitting in the gnus frame and takes over the whole screen, so I
>> avoid following links in the gnus article window.
>>
>> Did anybody experience similar problems using screen or tmux?
>
> I run screen, launch an emacs -daemon at some point, and then I open
> multiple emacsclient -t instances inside screen. One of these instances
> is just for Gnus, and I don't have the problem you describe. When
> entering a group I have two windows, the summary buffer and the article
> buffer. Following a link in the article buffer just causes that window
> to be replaced with the w3m stuff.

There (probably) lies the problem - in Gnus I have a vertical split (left
window *Group* buffer, right window *Summary* buffer), and that right
window is splittet horizontally when I want to read an article with the
lower part showing the *article* buffer. Normally, I do have an w3m
buffer open in another tmux-window, that occupies half the screen (one
pane of a vertical split).

I don't know if tmux is confused by the intent of fitting a buffer that
has a half-screen pane in one tmux-window into a pane of another
tmux-window thats smaller. This might be the problem, since I can open
w3m in another tmux-window that has the same splitting as the original
one without problems.

On the other hand - I like the Gnus frame with the 3 windows, thats very
convenient.

Cheers

* Re: tmux & emacs: window issue
@ 2012-02-21 11:58     ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-02-21 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
> There (probably) lies the problem - in Gnus I have a vertical split (left
> window *Group* buffer, right window *Summary* buffer), and that right
> window is splittet horizontally when I want to read an article with the
> lower part showing the *article* buffer. Normally, I do have an w3m
> buffer open in another tmux-window, that occupies half the screen (one
> pane of a vertical split).
>
> I don't know if tmux is confused by the intent of fitting a buffer that
> has a half-screen pane in one tmux-window into a pane of another
> tmux-window thats smaller. This might be the problem, since I can open
> w3m in another tmux-window that has the same splitting as the original
> one without problems.
>
> On the other hand - I like the Gnus frame with the 3 windows, thats very
> convenient.

Something like this?
https://picasaweb.google.com/105150425452848691670/Misc#5711556460780476994

The article was displayed in the lower-right window and had a link. When
pressing it w3m reused the same window with my settings.

Cheers,
--

@ 2012-02-21 12:15       ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-21 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>> There (probably) lies the problem - in Gnus I have a vertical split (left
>> window *Group* buffer, right window *Summary* buffer), and that right
>> window is splittet horizontally when I want to read an article with the
>> lower part showing the *article* buffer. Normally, I do have an w3m
>> buffer open in another tmux-window, that occupies half the screen (one
>> pane of a vertical split).
>>
>> I don't know if tmux is confused by the intent of fitting a buffer that
>> has a half-screen pane in one tmux-window into a pane of another
>> tmux-window thats smaller. This might be the problem, since I can open
>> w3m in another tmux-window that has the same splitting as the original
>> one without problems.
>>
>> On the other hand - I like the Gnus frame with the 3 windows, thats very
>> convenient.
>
> Something like this?
> https://picasaweb.google.com/105150425452848691670/Misc#5711556460780476994
>
> The article was displayed in the lower-right window and had a link. When
> pressing it w3m reused the same window with my settings.

Exactly like this - I would guess a standard division of the gnus frame.
Maybe thats one thing where screen is superior to tmux?
Or it might be caused by the way I use tmux, or something in my emacs
configuration.

But its not essential, maybe getting more used to the setup the solution
will come naturally to my mind in the future.

Thanks for your help

Cheers,
--
Thorsten