all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Look for strace/ltrace analog for elisp.
@ 2012-05-13 10:51 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-05-13 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In order to understand how work foreign code tracing is the best technique.

Like this do strace/ltrace.

I expect ability to call something like::

  (trace BODY)

and get output like::

  { foo
  *{ bar
  **{ concat
  **} concat: result: "XXX"
  **{ +
  **} +: result: 20
  *} bar: result: 20
  } foo: result: 20

where tracer print all called functions until BODY execution was finished.

It is convenient to have ability customise output details (like enabling or
skipping input args/return value, skipping call to some functions).

But for my purpose it is important to see names of setq, defun,
declare-function, defvar, etc... because I want to debug loading of elisp
library.

I try use edebug-trace-mode but seems this is not that I look.

--
Best regards!

* Re: Look for strace/ltrace analog for elisp.
       [not found] <mailman.1062.1336906313.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-13 14:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-05-13 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I expect ability to call something like::

>   (trace BODY)

> and get output like::

>   { foo
>   *{ bar
>   **{ concat
>   **} concat: result: "XXX"
>   **{ +
>   **} +: result: 20
>   *} bar: result: 20
>   } foo: result: 20

We don't really have this kind of `trace' function.  Instead we have
`trace-function'.  So if you called trace-function on `foo', `bar',
`concat', and `+', then (eval BODY) would have put a trace like the one
you show in *trace-output*.