Emanuel Berg writes: > but it is interesting that at least three so alike solutions to do > more or less the same thing are shipped with Emacs. Not that I mind, > let a thousand flowers bloom... But normally you don't see that. Not part of Emacs, but after trying many options, I have happily settled on using Helm[1] (formally Anything) for completions. For buffers there is helm-buffers-list[2]. Here is a wiki to show you what Helm can do[3]. Charles Footnotes: [1] https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm [2] https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/wiki#helmforbuffers [3] https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/wiki -- "Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX." (By Stephan Zielinski)