all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cask for testing
@ 2014-08-14 10:31 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2014-08-14 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have been investigating Cask for use with testing my Emacs packages,
but have been struggling with it. The documentation is not very rich as
it stands. I was wondering if anyone has a good workflow?

I thought I would start of with m-buffer.el which has few dependencies.

https://github.com/phillord/m-buffer-el

Currently, I have this testing in batch with a shell script. The
dependencies have been included and downloaded into the test directory
(which is obviously not ideal). I am using travis for CI. Testing also
works interactively from within Emacs. My hope was to use Cask for batch
dependency resolution.

My Cask file looks like this:

(source gnu)
(source melpa)

(package-file "m-buffer.el")
(depends-on "dash")

(development
 (depends-on "ert-runner"))

Cask correctly downloads the dependencies. But it doesn't put
m-buffer.el onto the load path. So any attempt to use ert-runner fails.
What am I doing wrong?

I'm currently only interested in Cask for development; for my main Emacs
config I just use "use-package" which seems to do everything I need.

Phil

* Re: Cask for testing
@ 2014-08-14 14:09 ` Sebastian Wiesner
From: Sebastian Wiesner @ 2014-08-14 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.08.2014 um 12:31 schrieb Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>:

> I have been investigating Cask for use with testing my Emacs packages,
> but have been struggling with it. The documentation is not very rich as
> it stands. I was wondering if anyone has a good workflow?
>
> I thought I would start of with m-buffer.el which has few dependencies.
>
> https://github.com/phillord/m-buffer-el
>
> Currently, I have this testing in batch with a shell script. The
> dependencies have been included and downloaded into the test directory
> (which is obviously not ideal). I am using travis for CI. Testing also
> works interactively from within Emacs. My hope was to use Cask for batch
> dependency resolution.
>
> My Cask file looks like this:
>
> (source gnu)
> (source melpa)
>
> (package-file "m-buffer.el")
> (depends-on "dash")
>
> (development
> (depends-on "ert-runner"))
>
> Cask correctly downloads the dependencies. But it doesn't put
> m-buffer.el onto the load path. So any attempt to use ert-runner fails.
> What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, Cask simply doesn’t do that.  It doesn’t make assumption about
the local layout of the source code tree, since that’d be too flaky for
more complex packages, e.g. consisting of different files in different
directories.

However, you can tell erg-runner to additional files, e.g.

cask exec ert-runner -l ./m-buffer.el

To make this permanent, add an „.ert-runner“ file to the root of your
source code tree, with the following contents:

-l ./m-buffer.el

Please note that Cask is not part of GNU Emacs, nor in any way affiliated
with it.  As such, this list is not the best place to ask questions about
Cask, since it’s not regularly monitored by us.  Please refer to the Github
issue tracker or to Cask’s own mailing list for questions.

* Re: Cask for testing
@ 2014-08-14 15:06   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-08-14 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Please note that Cask is not part of GNU Emacs, nor in any way affiliated
> with it.

gnu.emacs.help is not limited to discussions of packages that are
"affiliated" with GNU Emacs.  It's just a general forum for GNU Emacs
users to discuss among themselves of how best to use this tool.
So discussion of Cask is definitely welcome here.

Of course, if you need/want answers from the authors/maintainers, it's
indeed often preferable to look for more specific forums.

* Re: Cask for testing
@ 2014-08-15 10:43   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2014-08-15 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sebastian Wiesner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Wiesner <swiesner@lunaryorn.com> writes:
>> I have been investigating Cask for use with testing my Emacs packages,
>> but have been struggling with it. The documentation is not very rich as
>> it stands. I was wondering if anyone has a good workflow?
>>
>> I thought I would start of with m-buffer.el which has few dependencies.
>>
>> https://github.com/phillord/m-buffer-el
>>
>> Currently, I have this testing in batch with a shell script. The
>> dependencies have been included and downloaded into the test directory
>> (which is obviously not ideal). I am using travis for CI. Testing also
>> works interactively from within Emacs. My hope was to use Cask for batch
>> dependency resolution.
>>
>> My Cask file looks like this:
>>
>> (source gnu)
>> (source melpa)
>>
>> (package-file "m-buffer.el")
>> (depends-on "dash")
>>
>> (development
>> (depends-on "ert-runner"))
>>
>> Cask correctly downloads the dependencies. But it doesn't put
>> m-buffer.el onto the load path. So any attempt to use ert-runner fails.
>> What am I doing wrong?
>

> Nothing, Cask simply doesn’t do that.  It doesn’t make assumption about
> the local layout of the source code tree, since that’d be too flaky for
> more complex packages, e.g. consisting of different files in different
> directories.

(package-file "m-buffer.el") -- I mean, I've already told Cask about this.

> However, you can tell erg-runner to additional files, e.g.
>
> cask exec ert-runner -l ./m-buffer.el
>
> To make this permanent, add an „.ert-runner“ file to the root of your
> source code tree, with the following contents:
>
> -l ./m-buffer.el

Hmmm, okay. So cask then is setting my load-path to dependencies,
ert-runner is adding in files in the ./test directory? I guess this
helps in some way.

> Please note that Cask is not part of GNU Emacs, nor in any way affiliated
> with it.  As such, this list is not the best place to ask questions about
> Cask, since it’s not regularly monitored by us.  Please refer to the Github
> issue tracker or to Cask’s own mailing list for questions.

I didn't want to use an issue tracker to ask for help, and the only
mailing list that is mentioned in the documentation is cask-dev;
normally, I'd not send request for help to a -dev mailing list,
especially one with private archives.

Phil