all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 'miraculous' re-centering on the bottom line
@ 2014-10-24 15:31 Zeitlinie
From: Zeitlinie @ 2014-10-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm running emacs 24.4 & 24.3 and experience some kind of 'automatic'
re-centering issue which drives me completely nuts and make editing a pain.

I have several windows open (actually with ecb-activate, working on some
project). Now, while I edit a file, and at random intervals of the order
of some seconds length, the line I currently work on *jumps* to the
bottom of the window I am just working in - as if some wizard in the
background would have executed C-l three times.

I consulted Dr. Google for similar issues and only found that maybe
setting auto-window-vscroll to nil might help.
I did that - unfortunately with no effect.

Does anyone around here know what this re-centering might be due to and
how to stop emacs from doing it?

Mark

* Re: 'miraculous' re-centering on the bottom line
@ 2014-10-24 19:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-10-24 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:31:56 +0200
> From: Zeitlinie <zeitlinie@yahoo.de>
>
> I have several windows open (actually with ecb-activate, working on some
> project). Now, while I edit a file, and at random intervals of the order
> of some seconds length, the line I currently work on *jumps* to the
> bottom of the window I am just working in - as if some wizard in the
> background would have executed C-l three times.

Do you have scroll-conservatively set to a large value?  If so, try
without that.

If that doesn't help, bisect your customizations until you find the
culprit.  Then come and tell what you found, because it could be a
bug.

> I consulted Dr. Google for similar issues and only found that maybe
> setting auto-window-vscroll to nil might help.

Dr. Google is wrong, auto-window-vscroll has nothing to do with that.

* Re: 'miraculous' re-centering on the bottom line
@ 2014-10-24 20:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-24 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have several windows open (actually with ecb-activate, working on some
> project). Now, while I edit a file, and at random intervals of the order of
> some seconds length, the line I currently work on *jumps* to the bottom of
> the window I am just working in - as if some wizard in the background would
> have executed C-l three times.

My guess is that some Elisp code does that mistakenly
(e.g. a process-filter that doesn't pay enough attention to the window
it manipulates).
And this Elisp code is probably not enabled by default.

So try and see which part of your .emacs might be related.

* Re: 'miraculous' re-centering on the bottom line
@ 2014-10-24 20:18 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-10-24 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Zeitlinie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Zeitlinie <zeitlinie@yahoo.de> writes:
> I'm running emacs 24.4 & 24.3 and experience some kind of 'automatic'
> re-centering issue which drives me completely nuts and make editing a
> pain.

You could try this: M-x debug-on-entry RET recenter RET then wait for the
problem to reproduce. With some luck, it'll trigger the debugger, and show a
backtrace that will indicate the cause.
You can cancel the effect of the above using M-x cancel-debug-on-entry

--
Nicolas Richard

* Re: 'miraculous' re-centering on the bottom line
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-10-25 19:43 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-10-25 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Zeitlinie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Zeitlinie <zeitlinie@yahoo.de> writes:

> I'm running emacs 24.4 & 24.3 and experience some kind of 'automatic'
> re-centering issue which drives me completely nuts and make editing a pain.

In Emacs 24.3 that happens if you enable auto-revert mode in
buffer-lists/buffer-menus.  I think that bug is fixed in 24.4 though, so
it may not be the problem you're seeing.

BR,
Robert Thorpe