all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting Emacs Lisp sources in Lubuntu
@ 2015-01-12  2:49 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2015-01-12  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried the following command:

sudo apt-get emacs24

and it installed Emacs for me.

I was wondering how you go about installing the Emacs Lisp source files onto my machine.

Please advise me as I am stuck...  At present I have to look at my NTEmacs Lisp source files.

* Re: Getting Emacs Lisp sources in Lubuntu
@ 2015-01-12  3:32 ` Óscar Fuentes
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-01-12  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried the following command:
>
> sudo apt-get emacs24
>
> and it installed Emacs for me.
>
> I was wondering how you go about installing the Emacs Lisp source
> files onto my machine.
>
> Please advise me as I am stuck... At present I have to look at my
> NTEmacs Lisp source files.

Are you sure they are not installed? Try

M-x find-function [ENTER] compile [ENTER]

* Re: Getting Emacs Lisp sources in Lubuntu
@ 2015-01-12  3:47 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-01-12  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 8:19:07 AM UTC+5:30, Davin Pearson wrote:
> I tried the following command:
>
> sudo apt-get emacs24
>
> and it installed Emacs for me.
>
> I was wondering how you go about installing the Emacs Lisp source files onto my machine.
>
> Please advise me as I am stuck...  At present I have to look at my NTEmacs Lisp source files.

On debian one needs to install at the least
1. emacs24-el
2. emacs24-common-non-dfsg

About the dfsg ubuntu-debian may differ
I expect the "...el" to be mostly the same

* Re: Getting Emacs Lisp sources in Lubuntu
@ 2015-01-12  7:50 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-01-12  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-01-12, at 03:49, Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried the following command:
>
> sudo apt-get emacs24
>
> and it installed Emacs for me.
>
> I was wondering how you go about installing the Emacs Lisp source files onto my machine.
>
> Please advise me as I am stuck...  At present I have to look at my NTEmacs Lisp source files.

You might also consider compiling Emacs.  It's much less intimidating
than I thought, and even not very time consuming (not even on my low-end
netbook - I didn't measure it, but it was definitely much less than an
hour).

Shameless plug: http://mbork.pl/2015-01-03_New_Emacs

HTH,

--
Marcin Borkowski               This email was proudly sent
http://mbork.pl                from my Emacs.

* Re: Getting Emacs Lisp sources in Lubuntu
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-01-12 14:12 ` Felix Dietrich
From: Felix Dietrich @ 2015-01-12 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried the following command:
>
>   sudo apt-get emacs24
>
> and it installed Emacs for me.
>
> I was wondering how you go about installing the Emacs Lisp source
> files onto my machine.

The Emacs Lisp source files are part of the /emacs24-el/ package:

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/emacs24-el

--
Felix Dietrich