all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [orgmode/cygwin] Export as PDF
@ 2015-11-27 16:55 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-11-27 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: [orgmode/cygwin] Export as PDF
@ 2015-11-27 18:37 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2015-11-27 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 10:55 PM, Xavier Maillard
<lists.emacs.help@xavier.maillard.im> wrote:

> I am writing a documentation at work and instead of using the usual MS stuff,
> I have decided to try to do it using orgmode and then I'd like to export it as
> a neat PDF file.

Depending on the type of documentation you write, HTML might be a more
useful target format.

* Re: [orgmode/cygwin] Export as PDF
@ 2015-11-27 21:11 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-11-27 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.help@xavier.maillard.im> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am writing a documentation at work and instead of using the usual MS stuff,
> I have decided to try to do it using orgmode and then I'd like to export it as
> a neat PDF file.
>
> What do I need to install ? How should I customize emacs/orgmode for this ?

You should be able to press C-c C-e and get an export menu.  It should
allow plaintext, html and LaTeX out of the box.  For latex, you need to
install a TeX distribution.  Texlive is the best choice if you are on
GNU/Linux or windows.

Additionally, you could load ox-odt for odt export ("LibreOffice") or
ox-texinfo for info files.  The latter produces very nice manuals IMO; see
e.g. Emacs manuals, the Org manual or the Magit manual (which is produced
via ox-texinfo, last I checked).

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Don't panic!!!

* Re: [orgmode/cygwin] Export as PDF
@ 2015-11-28  9:19   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-11-28  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: [orgmode/cygwin] Export as PDF
@ 2015-11-28  9:23   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-11-28  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: [orgmode/cygwin] Export as PDF
@ 2015-11-28 15:10     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-11-28 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.help@xavier.maillard.im> writes:

> One more question: AFAIU, I can directly produce PDF from my orgmode file
> without any (la)tex installation ?

You can produce the .tex file.  To go from .tex to pdf you need LaTeX.
See org-latex-default-packages-alist for minimum requirements.

Presumably you would be able to do something like org → odt → pdf via
ox-odt and LO.  See org-odt-convert-capabilities.

In Org-7 there was a docbook exporter that allowed an alternative way of
producing pdf.  As I recalled it also had dependencies.  I would strongly
advice against using Org-7, however.

> Is this PDF customisable so that I can add my own branding ?

Sure, if you have got enough latex-foo.  See org-latex-class, as and read
up on the latex headers such as #+latex_header, and #+latex_class etc (in
the Org manual).  If you already have a word template, perhaps LO can use
it.  Maybe via org-odt-content-template-file and/or org-odt-styles-file.

Rasmus

--
The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club